RailMaster Hornby Elite and eLink.

Guest Chrissaf

Hello,

I am building a new layout, of three lines dcc I was thinking about buying the elink and rail master package I already have an elite my plan was to use the elite to control two of the tracks, and the elink for one line. Can railmaster use two controllers together like this?

How would you do it?

It can't be done.

Yes RailMaster has a Controller A & Controller B option. But if this option is used, Controller B can only operate Accessories such as points and signals. There is absolutely no functionality built into the RailMaster Controller B interface for operating locomotives.

Not only that, but even if you could use Controller B to operate a locomotive, it would have to have its 'TRACK A&B' output completely electrically and physically isolated from whatever Controller A is connected to. So your third line would need to be a physically separate track and not connected to the other Controller A track via any points, even if those points used Insulated Rail Joiners.

The Elite on its own with RailMaster is totally capable of running three tracks with locomotives on each.

You haven't stated any rationale for why you might want to use two controllers. If it was, for example, to allow another handset rather than a PC screen to be used independently from you by a child. Then if you have RailMaster connected to an Elite [this option is not possible with an eLink] as Controller A, then you could connect a Select to the Elite as a 'Walkabout' controller. Then a child could control a loco with the Select, whilst you used RailMaster / Elite to control the rest of the layout. If this concept is similar to what you are trying to achieve, then advise us. As although this option is doable, there are caveats and limitations that need to be explained. It is not worth going into the caveat / limitation detail in this reply unless you say that is what interests you.

As you already have an Elite. You don't have to buy the RailMaster / eLink combination package just to obtain a RailMaster license [i.e if you only really want to buy RM on its own]. If you just want to use RM to add to your existing Elite, you download and install the 'Evaluation Copy' of RM from the link located at the top of the RailMaster forum. Then make a 'within application' online purchase of the RM License Key. I believe the current cost of this is £69 whereas the RM /eLink combo bundle is nearer £100.

I would suggest that you ensure that the 'Evaluation Copy' is fully working with the Elite before you commit to purchasing a key. Once the key is purchased, you enter the key details to convert the all ready installed working 'Evaluation' copy into a fully licensed version that will then enable all the Evaluation Copy limitations.

DCC Concepts iP Digitals are fine with Hornby controllers most of the the time, there have been however the odd thread posting issues, but these issues have usually been resolved directly with DCC Concepts rather than by doing things with the Hornby kit.

I have written a few thread replies detailing 'how to' configure the iP Digitals, but primarily when using RM. There is one existing thread of mine using the Elite ... see below:

Configuring a Cobalt iP using Hornby Elite is included in part of this thread. Just ignore all the references to the Select and ignore using the 61 to 99 address range which are only relevant to a Select controller. The Elite can use accessory addresses between 0001 and 2048

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/using-elite-to-control-locos-and-select-for-points/?p=1/#post-270482

If you were to use the Elite with RailMaster, then that potentially could make it a little easier to configure the iP Digitals. This existing thread below, covers the RM 'How To'.

Configuring a Cobalt  iP Digital with RM & eLink / Elite.

http://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/adding-colbolt-ip-points-motors/?p=1

There are many forum members using these iP Digitals with Hornby kit without issue going by some of the posts I have read.