Hornby Elite and the R8247 Accessory Decoder

Guest Chrissaf

Hey there ,

1:I have been doing a bit of research into digital signalling with the r8247 because chrissaf explained that would be the easier method. I am just double checking that with my Hornby elite I can set the output on the decoder to be continuous for me to be able to have either red or green on my 12v two aspect signals with a common anode and two cathodes for red and the green led. 

2:on a second note in the future I am getting railmaster will this be easily incorporated into it so I can just click the signal on the screen and it will change 

Thanks again

Item 1) = Yes

Item 2) = Yes

Connect 2 Aspect Light Signal to DCC Accessory Decoder (using RailMaster).

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/wiring-of-hornby-colour-light-signal-to-r8247/?p=1/#post-279755

Although the above was written for a Hornby R406 signal. The R406 can be substituted with any 'Common Anode' LED based signal.

Note, just for the sake of crystal clarity. On the Hornby R8247 the C terminal is positive voltage for common anode LED working and the + & - terminals are both 'switched negative' voltages for LED cathode connections. The + & - labelling do not represent voltage polarity. The output of the R8247 can be configured by an Elite for 'always on' operation. Although it is easier to perform R8247 configuration using the RailMaster graphical interface.

Does the R8247 1.0 operate my general 12v signals ie change the CV like in the manual to constant operation?

Yes, the 'Version 1.0' R8247 is CV configurable for 'always on' operation using the Elite or the Elite in combination with RailMaster. With RailMaster it is a tick in a checkbox configuration exercise.

And is there any big difference between 1.0 and 2.0?

Yes, there are many new features available with the 'Version 2.0' R8247. I have looked at the new features and I struggle to find a practical use for some of them in the real world. The 'Version 2.0' R8247 decoder is shipped from the factory in 'Version 1.0' mode. You have to change a CV to enable the 'Version 2.0' features.

So for all intent and purpose, the 'Version 2.0' R8247 is the same, for most 'users', as a 'Version 1.0' unit, unless the 'user' chooses to invoke those 'Version 2.0' features via a CV change.

And do I really need those difference?

No, you do not need any 'Version 2.0' features to operate a 2 Aspect signal at the basic level.