R2235G Class 56 DCC Conversion

Skier

Hi All

I have recently converted my layout to DCC.  Up to this point I have only converted my collection of DCC Ready Hornby locos.  

Set up is a Hornby Elite controller running Hornby locos fitted with Lenz Standard V2 decoders.  All works really well so I am now starting to move onto the next stage of the process.  This is the conversion of some of my older locos.

So step up my Class 56 "Ellington Colliery" as the first victim onto the table.

Now I am alright with a soldering iron and can understand the wire colour coding on a standard 8 pin decoder such as the Hornby R8249.  However, when I remove the Class 56 body it does not present a nice neat set of similar coloured wires!  

I would be really grateful if anyone could give me an idiots guide to converting this loco to DCC.  Detailed notes or diagrams would be great combined with any advice on the decoder used - I think I am right in saying that as this is an older loco it needs a decoder that can handle more amps (1.1?) or would a Hornby R8249 do the job here ( I don't intend to change the lights at this stage).

Thank you so much - I feel sure someone will come to my assistance here.

Regards

According to Hatton's the R2235G is a 'Ringfield' motor:

/media/tinymce_upload/95794407ad675e20590b31501c5a7b8f.jpg

In terms of DCC conversion of the motor which is the crux of your question. The 'Ringfield' motor comes in different variants. So the exact conversion method needs to involve identifying which 'Ringfield' type your models have.

Scroll down the page of this website to the 'Ringfield' section for details:

https://www.brian-lambert.co.uk/DCC-Page-1.html#decoderinstalation

Hi Skier, I was just about to add to Chris's reply to your similar post in the Class 56 (Lighting) thread to say you are better off starting your own thread when lo and behold you have.

But I'd also say in this instance that Chris has already given you a comprehensive answer with his reference to Brian Lambert's excellent site and particularly his section on the different Ringfield conversions.  All the info you need is there.

Just to summarize advice generally on conversions:

-  disconnect pickup wires from the motor and connect to decoder red and black wires

-  ensure there is no connection between motor and chassis (LH brush holder for Ringfields as per Brian L)

-  yes, remove the capacitor and/or any other components connected to the motor

-  connect decoder orange and grey to motor connections.

You will also find conversion guides on the Bromsgrove Models and Lendon's sites. 

My reply above moved here from the other thread that Fishy references in his reply posted below, and the other thread tidied up to remove the duplicate question.