What Platform

Paul Heal

The R9836 is a Skaledale resin building. I think you will find that it is not designed for use with any particular platform in mind. Looking at the image of it, it appears to have quite a large footprint. Hornby's plastic platforms are quite narrow. I wouldn't be surprised that if you sat the R9836 on top of the standard Hornby plastic platform that it would overhang both front and back.

/media/tinymce_upload/dc450e3be334920349d722a29186b651.jpg

Skaledale is aimed more at modellers to use as they see fit. You probably need to model a custom physical environment to suit the model ie create a scenic plinth for the station to sit on that raises it to a typical platform height so that it can sit behind or next to a platform rather than on top of one. The Skaledale platforms would probably match better scenically than the Hornby plastic ones. But even the Skaledale ones are the wrong colour to match the R9836 stone colour of the Station.

TIP: As a newbie poster on the forum, just be aware that the 'Blue Button with the White Arrow' is not a 'Reply to this post' button. If you want to reply to any of the posts, scroll down and write your reply in the reply text box at the bottom of the page and click the Green 'Reply' button.

Particularly as my reply includes an image, using the 'Blue Button' may result in your reply being held back for image approval, even though it is an existing image.

See also – further TIPs on how to get the best user experience from this forum. TIPs include 'How to post images' and 'How to make links clickable'.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/tips-on-using-the-forum/

Like what Chris says above 'on top of the standard Hornby plastic platform that it would overhang both front and back.' - just had an idea - you could 'double up' on the 'standard Hornby plastic platform' so that you would have double the space & then you won't have the 'over-hang'!!!  😀

Good old sheet of balsa wood cut to size as needed, scored and painted to represent paving slabs with appropriate uprights made to support it - a continuous length inset slightly from the rail edge covered with brick or stone paper / plastic card

I use plywood sheet made up to approximately 12mm and face it with wills brick material and use concrete render plastic sheet from the same range for the surface.

The plywood extends from the platform face and covers the station approach so all is at the same level as is often the case in real life.

I bought the Hogwarts station which is in fact Goathland station on the North Yorks railway. Hornby do make a platform but it is far too short. So in the end I made one out of Peco Edge Pieces covered with Wills cut stone wall sheet and Wills Tarmac sheets for the actual platform. There are a ton of pictures on the web plus I regularly go on holiday around that area so I took some photos. It came out really well.

In your case you just need to look at pictures of Settle or one of the other stations on the Settle Carlisle line. The Peco platform edges make a perfect edge.

I will supply some photos if you are interested.

Well, I was mulling over a similar problem and between you, you've solved my prob.  Thankyou to all of you who took the time to reply  

my station is card kit, brick built, and I couldn't decide on the platform type/ manufacturer. thanks to the above answers, it'll be MDF cut to the exact requirements, edged in peco brick edging which is s cheap as chips, finished with Wills paper, probably tarMAC.

Ime a joiner, why the hell didn't I think of that?  Probably because, as a complete novice, I thought I'd have to go with the traditional sectional stuff.

steve