Clan McGregor - Change Decoder

AndyDE

I wish to replace the DCC decoder in Clan McGregor. I have the service sheet and it seems that if I take the tender body off then I will be able to get at the decoder. Correct? If so just how does the tender body come off? The service sheet seems to suggest

it just lifts off but I cannot see how.

Thank you

Hi AndyDE. I have R2847 72008 "Clan McCleod". I haven't actually run it yet but have just checked it's instructions out. If it's like mine, which it no doubt is, do your instructions show "6 To remove the tender body?" The DCC socket should be in there.

You just have to remove all the retaining screws underneath. Without doing that, you can't just lift it off.

I do not have the original instructions - simply the maintenance sheet downloaded from the Hornby web site.

I did try removing a total of 7 screws from the bottom but it did not seem to loosen up. There are 4 screws holding the three axles plus one with a spacer at the coupling end. Yjere are thenteo larger ones again at the coupling end well countersunk. Removing

all of these did not apparently free the tender body. A club member has glued in coal. I wonder if that is holding the body in place.

Thank you. Problem fixed. Based upon your reply I undid the two larger screws at the coupling end again and pulled hard - and the body came away. Obviously another club member had not only lost the original instructions but had glued the two bits together

when adding real coal.

Thanks

Andy

Archived