DCC conversion of 45 year old FS

Guest Chrissaf

If the loco is 45 years old, it will be the original loco drive version with an X03 motor so the standard Hornby decoder should not be used.  Others will be able to advise on other suitable units.

You need to convert it back to DC. Then perform a DC 'Stall Test' to determine the current draw of the old motor. Once you know this information you can then choose a suitable brand and model of decoder able to support that current. The Hornby decoders are limited to 500mA motor current and really do not suit old current hungry locomotives. So you may have to look at non Hornby brands that have higher [typically 1 amp] motor current ratings.

Then the second issue is the Select, the default power supply for the Select is only 1 amp. Fine for modern locos with low current motors, but if the 'Stall Test' indicates that your FS needs a decoder that supports more than 500mA, then you would be advised to upgrade your Select power supply to the Hornby 4 amp P9300 power supply.

All the above assumes, of course, that you have installed and wired the decoder correctly.

These previous threads describe in detail the correct conversion methodology for the X.03 / X.04 motors. If indeed that is the type of motor that is installed as advised by G.S.

DCC fitting the X03 / 04 Motor by M.R [without images].

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/making-the-x03-and-x04-dcc-fitted-the-proper-way!/?p=1

Step by Step Tutorial with images of the X03 X04 DCC conversion by M.R.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/post/view/topic_id/24262/?p=3

TIP: As a newbie poster on the forum, just be aware that the 'Blue Button with the White Arrow' is not a 'Reply to this post' button. If you want to reply to any of the posts, scroll down and write your reply in the reply text box at the bottom of the page and click the Green 'Reply' button.

See also – further TIPs on how to get the best user experience from this forum. TIPs include 'How to post images' and 'How to make links clickable'.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/tips-on-using-the-forum/

Hi I have a 45 year old Flying Scotsman OO gauge. I am having a problem fitting a Decoder. Have wired it up using video on youtube but when I try to program it the lights flash on my Select . Question is is it possible to fit a decoder to this old engine.

That is definitely going to be nearer the 1 amp current consumption, so that rules out the Hornby decoders. I was surfing that well known sales site yesterday and there was a link to "Train o matic" decoders they have a maximum current of 1 amp so they might be nearer your needs. Jenny Kirk's website is sponsored by them so they must be reasonable for her to put her name to supporting them. Be careful if you do a "stall test" you have to do it pretty quick as on some motors that is a sure way to burning them out, I prefer to just measure the resistance of the motor (on DC it is just resistance) and then work out the maximum current from that using ohms law. It will be higher than that obtained from a "stall test" but that is better anyway and far safer. 

I am always saying this, but use a socket then you can check if you have done it properly by fitting a DC header before you try the decoder.