R2981 conversion to DCC

mightyllama

My apologies in advance for what will likely seem silly questions, but I am a novice at this game.

Firstly, I quite fancy the R2981 London Olympics 2012 Limited Edition 1948 Train Pack. It is described as "DCC compatible", so does that mean all I have to do to the loco is install a decoder? Will it have the necessary sockets in there, or does it have to be "DCC ready" for that? I will need to install a decoder in my R2815 set "Haileybury", which is DCC Ready too. Will I need to install a decoder in the tender also? Are the decoders standard?

Secondly, I've got a track loop consisting of 8 x R8262 Double Curve 4th Radius and 2 x R603 Long Straights. I want to add an inner track loop using 8 x R609 Double Curve 3rd Radius with 2 x R601 Double Straights and two sidings within that loop. Can anybody tell me what points and accessories I will need to make this work, using the R8214 DCC Elite Controller that I intend buying?

Sorry about all the questions.

There does not appear to be a service sheet that specifically covers this train pack but according to Pat Hammond, it was issued in 2011 and the loco started to be fitted with DCC sockets that year so, on that basis, DCC-ready rather than DCC-compatible seems the correct description.  The train pack box should have an indication, as should the loco maintenance sheet that came in the pack.  You can also refer to service sheet 397 which can be accessed by entering N2 in the Service Sheet search box (R2981 is not recognised).  Therefore, all you should need to do is remove the blanking pins plate and plug in your decoder.    

Others will know how to advise you regarding DCC point control.

Can anybody tell me what points and accessories I will need to make this work, using the R8214 DCC Elite Controller that I intend buying?

This other thread started this afternoon goes some way to answering the above part of your question. The Elite being the controller does not really affect the answer given.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/advice-welcomed-controlling-switches-via-elink/?p=1

TIP: As a relatively new poster on the forum, just be aware that the 'Blue Button with the White Arrow' is not a 'Reply to this post' button. If you want to reply to any of the posts, scroll down and write your reply in the reply text box at the bottom of the page and click the Green 'Reply' button.

See also – further TIPs on how to get the best user experience from this forum. TIPs include 'How to post images' and 'How to make links clickable'.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/tips-on-using-the-forum/