DCC Track Wiring

Olliebags

Im using a Select control unit and notice I have reduced power to locos when using more than 2 on the track. Thought the problem might be the controller but it checks out ok so wonderd if I need some extra wiring?

Layout is roughly 14 feet x 5 feet with 3 loops and various marshalling yards so I can have 5 or 6 locos working at once. Up to now the Select has been fine, I use a 4amp PSU but only have one power track R8421 in use. Could it be I need another power track on the layout wired back to the controller, be grateful for any help please.

Is it an idea to try this anyway, could it do any damage?

Thanks all

I assume that you are using Hornby R8232 DCC Point Clips to make all track all live.

What can happen, is that these DCC Point Clips can start to fail, they either become loose or tarnished (oxidised). Subject to location in proximity to the R8241 connection they can start to overheat, this accelerates the failure issues. Some have been known to glow red hot and melt the plastic sleepers.

Run your layout up to the point where it starts to misbehave, then go round the layout and press your finger tip against each of the installed R8232 Clips in turn, feel for any that seem warm to the touch. Any that are found warm should be replaced with new clips, but have the contact area of the rails cleaned first before fitting them.

The ultimate solution is to implement a full wired DCC BUS system.

TIP: As a newbie poster on the forum, just be aware that the 'Blue Button with the White Arrow' is not a 'Reply to this post' button. If you want to reply to any of the posts, scroll down and write your reply in the reply text box at the bottom of the page and click the Green 'Reply' button.

See also – further TIPs on how to get the best user experience from this forum. TIPs include 'How to post images' and 'How to make links clickable'.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/tips-on-using-the-forum/