Stay Alive on Hornby 6 pin Decoders

Gablees Railway

I have a Hornby LMS class 21 Pug locomotive with a Hornby 6 pin Decoder fitted. The loco cuts out a lot on my points so a stay alive should help.

My question is, is it possible to fit a stay alive to a Hornby 6 pin decoder. If so, which ones work best with them but are small enough to fit in the cab of my Pug?

JemBobs is correct, the current Hornby 4, and 8 pin decoders are based upon the same basic PCB design. Thus they share the same connection locations for a 'stay alive'. Very fine soldering skills are required as Hornby decoders are not designed specifically for 'stay alives', thus you have to make connections to solder pads shared with other components on the decoder PCBs.

The Hornby R7150 6 Pin decoder looks as if it might use the same PCB as the 4 & 8 pin decoder [unfortunately the Hornby 6 pin images on the Internet show the wrong side of the PCB for me to be sure]. The images in the linked post will give you a clue, so you will need to use the images in that thread to identify the + and - pad output of the bridge rectifier on the 6 pin PCB board. And if that is too difficult for you, then I suggest you buy another brand of 6 pin decoder that has a factory included 'stay alive' capability.

Size ... basically whatever one will fit. I'm not familiar with the PUG but I get the impression from posts on this forum regarding issues fitting the 6 pin decoder that space is very tight.

Jembob's posted link made clickable.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/post/view/topic_id/23531/?p=1

TIP: As a newbie poster on the forum, just be aware that the 'Blue Button with the White Arrow' is not a 'Reply to this post' button. If you want to reply to any of the posts, scroll down and write your reply in the reply text box at the bottom of the page and click the Green 'Reply' button.

See also – further TIPs on how to get the best user experience from this forum. TIPs include 'How to post images' and 'How to make links clickable'.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/tips-on-using-the-forum/