SECR 4 and 6 wheelers

Peter Stiles

Not that I'm disappointed, but I was hoping to see SECR coaches too, giving my Terrier and H Class (and the P and C and one-day incoming D) class something shorter (and more affordable) than a Birdcage to pull.

Or maybe They knew I'd spent time pimping up a couple of railroad 4 wheelers for my Terrier and decided that I should run those for a year before replacing them.

Or maybe I'll visit the milliner's.

I already have SE&CR liveried 4 & 6w carriages on pre-order, and have done so for nearly a year

I am a little curious that Hornby have come out with these a year after the Genisis range was advertised. I wait with interest to see how the Merseyside offerings compare to the Margate ones!

One difference is that the "Merseyside" coaches take their power from the track, whereas the Hornby version has a battery and a magnetic wand. I placed a magnet just inside a tunnel portal ages ago to operate a reed switch in a carriage - so nothing new there. Another webside does suggest as far as timing goes, Merseyside were first across the line. It will be certainly interesting to see the outcome.

You mention lighting powered by track versus battery powered.  I think Hornby have probably made the correct decision to go battery powered, since a 4 wheel coach can only have a maximum of four pick-ups, two on each side.  I have some 8 wheel pullman coaches that tend to flicker because of unreliable pick-ups (which I really ought to try to rectify).

The alternative for manufacturers would be to still use four wheel pick-up but also install a stay-alive capacitor on their LED lighting strips.  There is presumably a rectifier in the electrical circuitry that powers the LEDs, so a stay alive capcitor should be an easy addition for a manufacturer to include.  It wouldn't need to be very big since LEDs don't draw much current (especially compared to an electric motor in the loco).