DCC Short Circuit when adding Track Packs E & F

Guest Chrissaf

I’m new to model railways. I purchased a ‘mixed freight’ Hornby DCC train set that comes with two small locomotive and track pack A - it works fine. I then added track packs B, C and D and it still works OK. However, as soon as I added track packs E and F the Hornby DCC ‘‘Select’ controller, which comes with train set flashes ‘EO’, which I have since discovered means a short circuit. I added the DCC Hornby points clips on all six points as recommended, but the problem still persists and I really don’t know what to do to rectify this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

There is a high probability that one of the points included in the E & F Packs has got a factory 'short circuit' fault.

Remove those E & F Pack points one at a time from the layout and see which one if any clears the EO 'Short Circuit' display.

These Hornby point faults come up perhaps a bit too regularly. The last one to be raised on the forum was quite recent ... see this thread for details:

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/trackpack-system-no-power-to-outer-double-siding/?p=1/#post-354584

TIP: As a newbie poster on the forum, just be aware that the 'Blue Button with the White Arrow' is not a 'Reply to this post' button. If you want to reply to any of the posts, scroll down and write your reply in the reply text box at the bottom of the page and click the Green 'Reply' button.

See also – further TIPs on how to get the best user experience from this forum. TIPs include 'How to post images' and 'How to make links clickable'.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/tips-on-using-the-forum/

The linked post was for a DC Analogue layout. I provided the link just for additional info. Since your layout is DCC, then by adding the DCC R8232 point clips, the 'short circuit' if one is present will be there permanently. The easiest way to diagnose the short for your particular layout is to use the technique I documented above in this thread .... namely selective point sequential removal from the layout starting at the E & F Pack point furthest away from the controller connection and working back towards the controller connection location.

I just wanted to say a huge thank you for the advice given regarding faulty points. I swapped them around and found one to be faulty. I have since purchased a new right-hand point, refitted the DCC point clips and it now works really well! However, I noticed the locomotives now sometimes stop on a different particular point on the oval. I’ve checked that all track fishplates are fitted correctly and are tight. The DCC power track also looks to be connected properly and I have fitted track clips connecting the two ovals adjacent to the power track as advised in the instructions. Once again any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hornby points need to be perfectly flat, particularly in the area of the plastic frog. Your described issue can sometimes be fixed by adding an additional track fixing pin as close to the frog area on the suspect point as is possible. A pilot hole will need to be drilled to take the track pin as there isn't one provided at that location on the point as part of its manufacture.

If you do not have a 1mm or 1.5mm pilot hole drill bit (size dependant upon brand of track pin used), then search "micro-drills" on ebay. Micro-drills are best used with a tool called a 'pin vice' rather than a hand-drill. On ebay, some 'micro-drills' are bundled in sets with a 'pin vice' with an all in price - see the link above.