DCC PROBLEMS

MAGOO

Hi,i have differing problems when using my R8213 select controller either.

Zero response from loco.

A little forward movement followed by a stop,loco then reverses of its own accord,stops then goes forward again without any input from me.

Slight downward pressure on the loco will sometimes restart it,as will a nudge to another section of track,but never the same places twice.

Using a Proses track voltage tester on every inch of track always shows three lights.

I am using,one at a time,five different locos ,all with the same result.

A seperate one meter length of test track gives the same results.

Very occasionally ,for no apparent reason, a randomly selected loco will function perfectly for an hour or more.

Forgive my naivety but is it safe to assume my controller needs replacing or am i missing another blindingly obviouse solution.

Kind regards.

What firmware is your Select. If it is below version 1.3, then I recommend that you have it upgraded by Hornby.

The current installed firmware is displayed as the very first number to briefly appear on the Select screen as it is being powered up. Expect to see a number between 10 and 20. At the time of writing, the latest version is 1.6 [16] or 2.0 [20] - both the same. These latest versions completely transform the user experience of the Select controller and add the ability to write (not read) all CVs up to CV255. As well as access to the full F0 - F28 range of functions.

The upgrade charge is typically £15 plus your sending postage costs. You need to get a 'returns number' from Hornby Customer Services - see 'Contact Us' link at the very bottom of the page.

If you do arrange to get your Select firmware upgraded, then you will need both the Select version 1.5 full manual and the version 1.6 addendum manual. As the operation of your Select (how to use it) will be completely different in certain areas of operation compared to your current firmware version.

You can download these two manual PDFs from here:

R8213 Select DCC Controller – Hornby Support

and here

R8213 Select DCC Controller - Version 1.6 and 2.0 addendum – Hornby Support

If nothing appears to happen, check your nominated browser download folder for the files as they can download silently in the background.

Not really necessary. 15 is version 1.5 and is a very capable firmware revision. In simplistic terms, upgrading to version 1.6 would only add the ability to write CVs from 1 to 255.

Had your firmware been below 1.3 [13] then it might be a contributory factor to your reported issues, but version 1.5 isn't. So I feel your issue lies somewhere other than the firmware level of your Select.

Now you really haven't given much information into the history of your issue. For example is it a newly built layout and it is doing what you observe from the very start or has this issue only recently started and if so, what other activity preceded it, such as a layout configuration change for example.

One potential cause of your issue that comes to mind is how you are connecting your Select controller to your layout track. This is particularly relevant if your layout was existing as a DC Analogue layout and you have upgraded it to DCC.

Your observed symptoms can potentially be caused by using DC Analogue track power connectors R602 or R8206. These DC Analogue track power products corrupt DCC signals.

The correct track power connectors for DCC are R8241 or R8242.

The DC Analogue R8206 connector can easily be identified because it has buff [pinky] press buttons. The DCC R8241 has either dark grey or sometimes green press buttons.

If you suspect that your current track power connectors are the incompatible DC Analogue variety, you can check them and modify them for DCC by opening them up and removing any capacitor you find inside. If you do have the wrong power connectors, I feel very confident that correcting the DCC connectivity will go a long way to resolving your issue.

forum_image_6039306a4257c.png.f833cd80658416cea7e5f09e21d032dc.png

The layout is four years old,it was only ever DCC and has never had any alterations made to it.

It uses R8241 connectors only. It has run perfectly for long periods with a few intermittent faults on occasion.I do not run it on a regulas basis but i always clean and check track and connections before using,the voltage tester always shows current on every part of the track.

The test track i am using,with identical problems,is literally only hours old using brand new track,connections etc and also shows good voltage.

If all five locos show the same fault i can only assume the problem is track or controller,if track was the problem why would the tester illuminate-or is that just checking voltage and not signal maybe.

I am baffled!

My previous replies were based upon the minimal information you provided in your early posts. Now given your additional info that fills in missing gaps. Then I suggest you follow the 'Reset Select' procedure documented in the Select version 1.5 manual.

If that fails to fix the issue, then the Select may possibly have a fault. The more common Select fault reported on the forum is actually the Hornby Select 1 amp power supply. A power fault in the PSU can arise where a voltage output can be measured and appears at first glance to be working, but it fails to deliver sufficient current to operate the layout correctly under load.