Hornby R2073 Class 110 DMU train pack.

Tyke Dave

I have fitted a DCC decoder (non sound) to the ringfield motor and added cab and directional lights to my old Class 110 DMU. This was hardly used and is in excellent condition. Everything works fine (including changing the address on the decoder) but the motor does not move.

The motor previously ran on DC and have lubricated it & cleaned the commutator. Carbon brushes are fine. There are screws at the top of the brush holders with the left hand screw being slightly longer than the right hand screw. I have fitted a solder tag and insulating washer to the left hand brush holder, so the black wire from the decoder is connected to the tag and the grey wire from the decoder connected to the brush holder. The orange wire from the decoder is connected to the right hand brush holder and the pickup which was on the right hand brush holder is connected to the red wire of the decoder (ref: Digital Commend Control by Ian Morton, Ian Allan publishing, p.46).

Any help would be much appreciated!

Disconnect all wiring from the brush holders and test for continuity between the left hand brush holder and the chassis and wheels. There must be no connection, if there is, the decoder is usually destroyed immediately when power is applied.

If I’m reading correctly, your LH brush holder and tag can’t work. If there is continuity from brush holder to chassis, then you’ve already blown the decoder, as Rog said. If there is no continuity there, then you have no connection to chassis for the black wire.

Suggest you put Mr Morton to one side and google Brian Lambert, go to his DCC pages and look up his conversions for the 3 different Ringfield types.

@Tyke Dave

You seem to be having some difficulties in posting replies. I have just removed TWO DUPLICATE posts where you used the 'BLUE' quote button but didn't add any reply text. Your third attempt at replying [left intact above this one for you to see] is blank and devoid of any content.

You will find it easier to post on this forum if you just completely ignore the blue button with the white arrow. This is not a 'Reply to this post' button.

You will be able to get far better results when replying to or adding a new post if you just scroll down to the bottom of the page and write your reply in the great big 'Reply to post XYZ' text box. As I have done in writing this one.

PS - You will also notice that if you click the three vertical dots in the top right corner of any post, a tools dialogue pop-up will appear giving you further options to use.