class 66 TTS decoder stop starting

Dave1707822322

Hello

I have a Hornby class 66 (R3886) Malcolm Rail logistics with your Hornby R8121 TTS decoder installed

I have it programmed on the Elite to 4 from Default 3 and it stops and starts stops and starts then it cuts out. I gave it a small tap then goes through the motions of starting up the loco (sound function) this repeats itself every time it cuts out! then it revs up high and I have to press function 7 from the instruction sheet to stop it (it ran fine on DC beforehand ) can I reset this decoder through the Elite and how to? I am getting on a bit and new to DCC.

Thank you.

TTS decoders can be reset by writing a value of 8 to CV number 8.

DCC is far more sensitive to track condition than DC is. It may just need a really good deep clean of the track.

You haven't given much in the way of background supporting info to help members make a diagnosis. Remember, we only know what you tell us. The things that you might discount as not being important, might have the most profound significance to us.

For example.

1. Is this the only TTS loco you have
  2. Do you have other non TTS DCC fitted locos.
  3. Is this the only loco that has issues.
  4. Is your layout track an upgrade from a DC Analogue one or was it built straight as DCC.

I'm sure that there are more questions to answer, but these will give a flavour. Q4 is asked because DC Analogue track power connectors are known to disrupt the operation of TTS fitted locos. DCC uses DCC specific track power connectors.

• 2 weeks later...

My two favourites are the 8 pin DCC connector or the capacitor across the motor. On some of my Hornby locos I have found that the 8 pin socket that holds the DCC decoder doesn't always grip the pins properly, so basically as your loco goes over a bump you get a loose connection. The other issue I had with my class 66 was the suppression capacitor across the motor. In my case it went short circuit and took out the TTS decoder, but sometimes just before they die capacitors do funny things, so it could be occasionally be putting a short across the DCC motor output.