FAQ - Making the X03 and X04 motor DCC fitted the proper way. (Comment as thread locked)

Michael_A

It's a little annoying when threads are locked blocking discussion.

A point was raised by Going Spare:

'I tread warily in posting here because of my limited involvement with DCC matters but I question the wording of the 4th paragraph concerning isolating the motor. As the X03/X04/X05 motors normally sat directly on and were screwed to the loco chassis block, is there a need to isolate it physically? If, as stated, insulating sleeves are placed around each arm of the brush spring and electrical connections are made directly to brush clips (or the brush arms) on the outside of those sleeves, it will not matter that the body of the motor remains in electrical contact with the chassis block'.

Actually, the point was valid, however the author was not suggesting that the motor is or should be isolated from the chassis (in a physical sense), and gives no description of how to do this anyway. When he says 'The motor should be now isolated from the chassis and supply, a simple multi-meter test will confirm this.' he means isolated by virtue of the fact that both brushes are now insulated. OK a little misleading and open to misinterpretation, the word 'connections' after 'motor' was all that was needed to avoid the misunderstanding.

As I stated in the post. FAQs are meant to be fixed sources of information and not meant to be used as 'general discussion' threads. Else the function of the FAQ gets degraded. By all means anybody can raise a separate thread for discussion if they so wish as has been done here.

The long term intention is to publish a series of informative posts that start "FAQ - title" and all will be locked. If genuine errors in an FAQ are found or enhancements suggested, then by all means raise them and if concurred, the FAQ post can be edited or enhanced to accommodate them.

The amendment suggestion you have raised has now been edited into the original SoT post.