NEM for old MK3s

I am surprised, I have found that tension lock couplings are far superior to NEM ones, although they don't look so nice. If you are going to change them, I would go for the magnetic ones where you can get a far closer coupling.

Can you be a little more explicit as to what actually happens when the power car is pushing, e,g. does it cause one or more bogies to derail, and if so, does this occur on straight or curved track or traversing points? If you are using 'train set' curves and points, I would tend to concur with ColinB that the wider couplings are likely to be more stable than bogie-mounted tension-lock NEMs.

Ok. The only track we have is what came with the "Virgin Trains 125" set, and the "Virgin Trains Pendelino" set, so therefore a mix of 2nd and 3rd radius curves, and a few points.

No issues with the Pendelino in either direction, which we presumed was due to the type of couplings used.

But the HST and Mk3s will derail when propelled, and I'm not even talking about over the points, this is on the curves.

# I referred to NEM sockets in the OP with no specific decision on which actual couplings to use, as that would be open to any advice given, as I appreciate there are various couplings that fit an NEM socket.