R3830 Thompson A2/2 - disappointed.

DEROB

Having just received my new much awaited R3830 Thompson A2/2 rebuilt Gresley P2 60501 Cock O' The North, I opened the package with much anticipation. Having read the bad reviews on this new run of locomotives which have resulted seemingly from poor Quality Control; the first thing I looked for was a gap between the cab and the firebox. Fortunately my example did not suffer from this seemingly common assembly fault nor were the details on the running plate fitted askew as is also common. So all well and good. BUT the crew cab side doors were fitted 'on the piste' so to speak so I carefully removed them with a scalpel and tweezers and re-fitted them as they should have been during assembly at the factory - correctly. So onwards. The front locomotive lifting webs above the buffer beam running plate fitted with large gaps so daylight visible between the lifting webs and the running plate so out with the putty filler and satin black Humbrol (ON A BRAND NEW ALMOST 200 QUID LOCOMOTIVE?????).

Next - On turning the locomotive over and placing it carefully in my foam locomotive 'upside down' holder. Oh deary me. One of the main driver sanding pipes is missing from the front drivers. ALSO my locomotive is not fitted with a reversing rod so I need one of them too. Proceeding I then fitted a DCC decoder.

I've emailed Hornby for the sanding pipe and missing reversing rod but have not heard back and I don't want to return the loco as, after the work I've done on it I now have a decent locomotive albeit having paid just under 200 quid I wouldn't have expected to undertake a mini-modelling project to correct what should have been undertaken properly during manufacture.

I'm waiting for my A2/3 Steady Aim and A2/3 Edward Thompson and am hoping that I won't be as disappointed as I am in the A2/2.

Welcome to 'the Clan'.

The front coupling bash plate I brought up on the RMWeb forum and was quickly corrected - politely - that as 60501 CotN is an early logo locomotive, it was BEFORE THESE WERE FITTED - so yes, it's in the instructions, but NO, you should not have it!

Have you noticed the tender water scoop - only scoops water when travelling backwards? !!

A bit of unfortunate news for mine, which despite the incorrect colour and lining, has been absolutely perfect, is that a linkage pin, holding the conjugated valve-gear to the piston slider, has 'popped and dropped'.

I've contacted my supplier, and await their comments before going further, to Hornby themselves.

This does appear to have been a superbly designed model, poorly finished.

Al.

My Thane of Fife arrived a few weeks back and I can understand why some people don't like the colour, or the lining, and the footplate isn't perfectly horizontal. However, all the detail bits were fitted correctly on mine, other than the water scoop which is totally invisible anyway. A major plus for me is that it runs more smoothly than any other Pacific loco I have owned. It's the most expensive model I have ever bought, and I spent a long time wavering over the price tag (mine cost £172) but I have been wanting a Thompson pacific for years and previously I had looked at the DJH website. Their kit, together with their recommended combination of motor, gears and wheel-set, costs around £380, and then you've got to build it (no small achievement), followed by the cost of paint, lining and other transfers. There's no way I could make a model that looks as good or runs as well as the Hornby model, even with its flaws, so I am more than happy with my mine.

In fact, I am so pleased that I went out and bought Sun Castle as well, and I am now officially skint.

Well now that you mention the water scoop being fitted the wrong way round I had a look at mine and yep, I missed it. Mine too will only scoop water when travelling in reverse.

A careful removal - it didn't take much as it wasn't even glued in, it was just luckily holding on because of the tight fit of the rectangular lug into the hole on the tender base.

It's now properly glued in the right way round. I did not initially notice that mine was not fitted with a reversing rod either.

So having filled all the gaps which shouldn't be there with modelling filler putty, refitted the cabside doors so they are vertical and not a mile out of perpendicular, refitted the water scoop the right way round; all I need is a front drivers' sanding pipe and a reversing rod and my 175 quid brand new loco will be as it should have been when it left the factory.

I was going to get myself A2/2 Thane of Fife too but I shan't bother now as I'll wait until later in the year by which time Hornby might have their act together.

I hope the A2/3 is a bit better as I'm about to purchase A2/3 Steady Aim.

Maybe Hornby should do QC here and pay only 50% of the cost up front to the maker. If the QC is rejected here then they have two options take 50% or take the whole lot back at their expense. The factories would then stop supplying or get QC better. I am looking forward to my Hush Hush loco but something gives me cause for concern when I read this and press articles about the A2. I didn't preorder that.

The 50% idea is interesting. In large Civil engineering contracts there is usually a defects period and the client withholds usually 10 to 20% of the contract money for a defined period, often 12 months, and the Contractor fixes or replaces any defects during this period at their expense. If it’s not fixed then the Contractor doesn’t get the money. It’s a great incentive for them to do the job properly in the first place.

The 50% idea is interesting. In large Civil engineering contracts there is usually a defects period and the client withholds usually 10 to 20% of the contract money for a defined period, often 12 months, and the Contractor fixes or replaces any defects during this period at their expense. If it’s not fixed then the Contractor doesn’t get the money. It’s a great incentive for them to do the job properly in the first place.

We used to do that in an engineering company I worked, they got paid 95% for delivery and 5% if the product was successful. On the more difficult projects the Supplier just took the 95% and left us with the mess.

I think Hornby are more beholden to the Chinese suppliers rather than them needing Hornby's custom so it is unlikely a contract based to such a degree upon quality assurance would be accepted by the Chinese. The relationship is not like that between Bachmann UK and its 'own' factory, although even they (Bachmann UK) are a fairly small player in terms of their factory's total output and can encounter problems securing production slots as well as occasionally having quality issues.