New Hornby West Country loco does not run.

For several years I have been collecting items ready for building a model railway as a retirement hobby. So far I have some basic track connected to a DCC controller (NCE Power Cab) and this works fine with a "DCC fitted" loco. So I had my first go at fitting a decoder to a "DCC ready" loco - a new Hornby R2609 "Westward Ho". It is new in the sense of unused but has been unopened for several years. I fitted the same decoder model that is in the "DCC fitted" loco, and I am sure I got it the right way round! When tested the loco just "hums" and does not move. I tried putting the original blanking plug back, and testing on a short test track with an old DC controller - the result is the same. The wheels move very slightly (only about 1mm) and seem to lock. I can't see what I have done wrong - maybe just unlucky in that the first loco I try is faulty? It is probably too late to return it even if I can find out where I bought it!!

From what you say it is nothing to do with you fitting a DCC decoder, and incidentally it makes no difference to running as to which way round the decoder is inserted. It only means it will run backwards when supposedly going forwards, and forwards when going backwards. The only time it is important is if you have lights fitted, they won't work if you have the decoder in the wrong way round. From what you describe it sounds like either the motor has got stuck or more probably the valve has got locked. Check the clearances between the con rod screws and the valve gear. So look around the valve gear and wheels to check nothing is stuck. Be very careful the valve gear on these is very flimsy and breaks quite easily. Also check the copper pickups and check one hasn't got wedged in the wheel. If you are comfortable doing it, it may be an idea to remove the motor and see if the wheels move freely. Alternatively, give it to a model shop to fix. From what you say, it is nothing to do with fitting DCC. Looking at the web it looks like it is a reasonably old loco as the decoder is in the loco, on the new ones it is in the tender, so it might just need freeing up.