Coronation class suddenly stopped

If you can quote the catalogue Rxxxx number for the locomotive or its running number, name and livery and whether it is loco- or tender-driven, it will help those who may be able to give suggestions as to what the problem might be and how to get it going again.

It could be a hundred and one things but my favourite for this is the valve gear has got locked. Check that the valve gear screws have not come loose, again the favourite is the centre ones which allows the "keyed" connecting rod to the valve gear to rotate when it shouldn't. Also for some reason on mine the ones on the front wheels come loose and move out to again jam the gear. Finally check the wheels are not moving on the axles. If not any of these, then check the pickups. After this it is body off and start checking the transmission. From what you say to me it sounds like "jammed" valve gear as it was working ok.

So, is it a tender-drive loco that you have? Can you identify the model please. There have been three major versions of the Coronation: the first had its motor in the locomotive, the second had it in the tender and the most recent reverted to being in the loco, but that used an enclosed motor with no visible working parts so yours is evidently not one of those.

OK, 'the gold part' I presume is the brass worm drive on the motor shaft?

This implies it's locomotive drive (not tender).

If you've got that far, you've obviously got the body off - be very careful.

Couple of things, but firstly, NEVER forget there are a lot of tiny, very fragile parts - plastic and metal, and never force a screw - you can easily cross thread them / snap the heads off - we've all got the t-shirt - I certainly have!

After all that, as Colin mentioned, check the little coupling / piston rod screws - are any of them jamming?

Is the motor trying to turn - is it humming? Is it totally 'dead' - no power?

Can you see any loose wires?

If you place the chassis on the track, no power required, and you ROLL it, and the wheels turn, but the motor doesn't, or do the wheels just stay motionless, and slide as you push?

A little YT video of the chassis and scan around the chassis, above, below, and the rods on both sides, with power on, off, could help.

Al.

Sorry, I tried posting a reply with images and numbers, but seemed to fail.

Its a loco drive R.2553!

When placed on the rails under power there is a faint hum, but no motor movement of any kind, with no power and pushing the loco, the wheels stay locked and just slide along the track.

Wiring wise, it seems to be DCC enabled? That would be my guess from the chip inside it, and there is one purple wire connected to the loose larger board and not connect to the smaller chip? (Seems strange) the rest of the wires seem fine.

Piston rods seem to be fine as when power is applied via 9 vault battery if I apply a slight force to the wheels they will slip a few mm, and I checked and will go all the way round without catching or jamming (This process takes about a minute because it really is a few mm every few seconds I can get them to move)

If after this a short video going round the loco with the body removed would still be helpful, just let me know and i'll try and shoot one ASAP.

Cheers guys!

After my experiences today, it could be the motor. I have been fitted a Britannia chassis into my old Morning Star. Worked perfectly ok until I resoldered the wires on the motor. It appears that the motor has a loose connection internally and it is not the first one that has failed on me. I was fixing a City of Sheffield for someone and the motor was duff on that one as well. What I normally do with a fault like yours is remove the valve gear but leave the conrods connected and see if it runs. Alternatively disconnect the motor from the gears and first check if it runs ok and then move the wheels by moving them on a flat surface to see if they run smoothly without the motor attached.