My Elite showing Error

MattA

Hi could anyone help I have the hornby elite controller and it keep on coming up error on the screen. I have checked all of the track for any other bits of metal that may make it cut out the power to the track is there anything else that might make it show error

Thanks for that I think I might have found the problem. I did what you said and disconnected the track wires from the back of the elite the error disappeared , when I tried to put them back in once I put the first one in that was ok but when I put the second wire in it shows fault I doesn't matter which one I put in first its when I put the second one in it show error . Do you know what would cause that ?

You have a short circuit on your track. The short could be on the track itself from a faulty point or cross-over. But it could also be a faulty loco or other piece of rolling stock.

It is very much a case of implementing a methodical testing approach.

Firstly, remove everything that is sitting on the track, locos, wagons, carriages, everything including any scenic items that are connected to the track for their power supply [red LED siding buffer lamps for example].

With just the track connected to the Elite, does the error clear. If it doesn't then you likely have a faulty track piece either a point or a cross-over. Straight and curved tracks are very unlikely to be the 'short circuit' culprit.

If the Elite doesn't error with the just the track connected, then replace the removed rolling stock and any other removed electrical accessory items, one piece at a time until you find the item that is causing the error. Then once you know which item has the short circuit fault, then that item will need further investigation.

Hi Chrissaf I finally got to where the error was I have made a loop and it is single track when my track comes to the loop I have a left hand point it then carries round the loop and comes back out at the same points. When I removed the points and left a gap I then turned on the elite and the error had cleared and all my locos were working. I think I will need to rethink the loop I have

What you have described is called a reverse loop or reversing loop. There are DCC auto reversing units available that can deal with exactly this problem, you just need to fit 4 insulating rail joiners into the reversing loop to electrically isolate it from the rest of the layout.

Rog is absolutely spot on with his analysis. The loop you have implemented generates a 'short circuit'. With a DCC layout, there are electronic solutions that automatically manage the 'reverse loops' to remove the 'short circuit'.

I have written a full PDF tutorial that describes how the short circuit is created in various layout designs and more importantly what you can do to fix the issue using a RLM [Reverse Loop Module].

You can download my tutorial from the link below:

RLM Tutorial PDF

When you click the link above you will see my RLM Tutorial PDF listed. Click the listed entry and a window will open with a 'Download' button in the bottom right corner.