Britannia Smoke Deflectors

ColinB

I bought a second hand Britannia with a view to robbing its chassis. When it arrived it was too good to do that, so I repaired it. Unfortunately it is missing a right hand smoke deflector. It is R2562. Now Peters Spares do replacement ones for the old Margate models, but not the China based ones. I have compared the existing smoke deflector with the old one on my Margate made Morning Star. They look about the same just the handrails are different, being more detailed on the later one. Has anyone else had this issue or is it easier to just replace the both of them with etched ones. I did mail Peters Spares but they said they have never tried fitting their ones to the newer model.

I've fitted smoke deflectors in the past, and find the seating is critical for alignment - I fitted Royal Scot deflectors to a 'red LMS one' - to look as it should do, but it looks very slightly out.

State the obvious, but unless perfectly matched, add the deflectors in pairs.

Are you going with handrails, or the less-intrusive hand grab versions - etched option?

Al.

Before you order any etched smoke deflectors be aware that the upper part needs curling slightly. The next thing to consider is the actual era that the loco is in as some items were altered. Luckily the hand rail deflectors were kept until scrapping on the loco but it had a speedo from new and fluted con rods. The tender had a small dome, whereas, I think, your model will have the larger dome. I think that you may be better sourcing a Hornby smoke deflector for simplicity and a set of engraved nameplates in black. I am sure there will be some available elsewhere. Sadly the Britannias underwent many changes and to accurately find a Hornby one from earlier years is hard.