Can I use X8114 springs on a unrebuilt BoB or West Country chassis.

ColinB

I need a compression spring for a Battle of Britain chassis, the one that makes the third axle sprung loaded on older models. Does anyone know if X8114 springs will work? As usual you cannot buy them separately and according to the Service Sheet they should come in the accessory pack, but looking at what comes in the accessory pack only the spring for the pony truck looks to be included.

The saddle spring was deleted from the Small Parts pack when the chassis was modified some long time ago to make the spring redundant. Although later versions of the service sheet confusingly still show the spring, it is not identified as being included in the pack.

The SSPP spring is probably the closest you will get from Hornby but, from memory, the Bulleid/Gresley saddle spring was longer and softer.

Thank you for the information Going Spare. I will order some SSPP springs but I will also start looking through the spring suppliers for a suitable one that I can cut down. I suppose I could go and take one of my older locos with it in, apart. Then I could measure it properly, but I hate taking a working loco apart just in case something breaks.