Removing the tender top on a Hornby Q1 locomotive

ColinB

This post is only for information, in case anyone else has the same issues. I recently purchased a Hornby Q1, the later BR model with the DCC socket in the tender, it was new so obviously stored for a while. I run DCC so I needed to open the tender to get access to the DCC socket. I took out the two screws at the back of the tender, but would the top pull away, no. So I went around the base with a thin knife in case something has got stuck. Anyway in the end I took the base plate off and there in front of you at the front of the tender you can see the locating tabs. I gently levered the back a little just to free them off (these are plastic so easily broken) and "hey presto" it comes apart. I don't what causes these things to stick, I have had it happen with locaters on the front and back of tenders, but never this bad. So if your Q1 tender won't come apart remove the base plate. I noticed on my other Q1 same issue, but on that one the DCC socket is in the loco, so no need to take it apart.