Latest Hornby Princess gearing.

ColinB

Does anyone know if Hornby changed the gearing on the new tooled Princess model. I wanted a new motor for my Duchess loco, all the normal spares outlets were out of stock but Peters Spares were doing the Princess motor. I had to remove the flywheel and put my own worm gear on but it fitted perfectly and is was substantially cheaper than the proper Duchess motor. I ran the Duchess on my layout and it goes like a rocket. I run a DCC setup and normally my locos run at about 70%, this one I get the same speed at about 35%. Now I have lots of old Princess locos and the gearing is the same as a Duchess on those. I have never taken my new model one apart to check whether the gearing is the same, or did I just get supplied a fast motor by accident.

Great, thank you for the information. I have ordered a spare set of Princess gears so that I can compare them. It looks like I will have to wait for the a proper motor to turn up, the cheap Chinese ones I have got don't drive the loco fast enough.

The gears arrived this morning. I can now see why they are about half the size of the normal ones Hornby use. That explains it all, I suppose I will have to order the proper motor when someone has stock. So if Sam wants to ever try that speed trick again, there is no need to raise the voltage. Just fit one of these motors.