Which Loco goes with which coaches

Trickyzxr

Hi,

I have a lot of OO coaches which I would like to identify what loco would be used to pull them in order to see if I have the loco and make a complete set for my collection.

Can anyone recommend a website that shows all the Hornby OO coaches and their respective loco's of any other useful way I can find out please?

Thank you.

If such a website existed, it probably would have been mentioned on this forum by now. Particularly, as what coach with what loco questions come up with alarming regularity.

I was hoping for a positive answer. I have a few Hornby catalogues but photos are a bit too small to see coach numbers sadly.

I could just put LMS coaches with an LMS loco and GWR with GWR either steam or diesel but would be nice to get 100% correct as some maybe only from steam era etc.

Guess the research continues. Thank you.

Every day's a school day for all of us ...

You can't know everything immediately - railways is a huge subject, traversing 200+ (Trevithick) years of history.

I've forgotten more than I know, yet continue picking up little gems every day - that's where these forums, and respectable YT videos are very useful.

There are many historic videos on YT, not just some closet fanatic's opinion, but genuine LMS, LNER, BR, etc videos made at the time.

That's before you go into that other thing people once did - read books!

Al.

I think it gets worse than that, although certain coaches are say LMS, it may be that they were not built at the time the loco was running. Similarly I imagine there are certain BR coaches you shouldn't run with a loco having either the early or late roundel. I suppose you have to look at the date the coaches were introduced and the locos time frame, or just not bother, life is too short.

Yes indeed @atom3624 & @ColinB.

I think I have made a little headway in my research and ended up with:

Great Western 6105 6181 4924 Coaches Rake of 3 -----------------> Green King Charles II 

Hornby R409 B.R (Ex L.N.E.R) Composite Coach E18276 --------->Class A4 Guillemot

Hornby R409 B.R (Ex L.N.E.R) Composite Coach E18276 --------->Class A4 Guillemot

Hornby R410 B.R (Ex L.N.E.R) Brake Composite Coach E10066 --->Class A4 Guillemot

These are a couple of solo locos I have in my collection. What do you think?

As far as I can establish, King Charles II was issued in train pack R2084 with the 3 coaches 6105, 6181 and 4924 so this can be taken as an accurate pairing. The Gresley R409/R410 coaches are in crimson & cream and, if A4 Guillemot is from train pack R2032 it is in BR late-crest green so they are a reasonably good match even though two coaches carry the same number.

JJ I wouldn’t go off train sets for accuracy, many have totally inappropriate rolling stock in them especially goods sets. This is probably a deliberate ploy to get the purchaser to buy the correct stock, or another loco to pull the stock in the set.

You can always (usually) find a prototype for most things, I have seen pictures of steam locos having sets of coaches with the old blue/grey one in them right at the end of steam, and the first Mk2 coaches were delivered in the then current maroon. There are lots of pictures of steam locos pulling BR stock into the 1950s but with a tender still lettered LMS or GWR and conversely BR sets made up with the odd coach still lettered LMS, GWR or LNER.

Even before Nationalisation there were coaches or even complete trains that ran through to other regions.

Oh thank you Rana for that - that sounds interesting - can see why there is a bit of confusion with what goes where!!!

I think I was saying - with me - I like to keep my Locos with the Rolling stock that they came with!!! 🙂🚂🚂🚂