DCC Concepts - Power Base Alternative

Leighton Cook

Just some info as to how I did my incline layout to allow my Hornby R30053 OO GWR 101 Class 101 to pull 10 plus wagons up the Hornby R658 Pier sets.

The loco is very light and needed better traction to pull the wagons up the incline.

I thought that the DCC Concepts system under the track ballast was unnecessary and causing more layout problems than was necessary.

Method:

Hornby R658 OO Inclined Piers --- two sets on layout -- 1800mm length with curved 76mm rise .

[A] Using 1.6mm tie wire cut to length of each Hornby Pier section of track -- glue to the middle of rail track sleepers top with super glue.

Make sure that tie wire is continued over the crest of the top of the elevated track for some distance to assist the loco to complete the huul over the top of the incline with the attached 10 plus wagons.

Fit the N50 20x10x2mm Neodymium Magnets [bought from Banggood online shop] between the loco driving wheels within the chassis to give the wheels a strong magnetic attachment pull to the tie wire glued on the rail track.

Make sure that the magnets are fitted with the correct polarity in place.

The 2mm magnets when fitted to the loco chassis will be 1mm approx. above the tie wire glued to the track sleepers.

Make sure that are "NO HIGH SPOTS" on the fitted tie wire etc to allow the smooth running of the loco.

That's it --- now try this on any other locos that need help pulling wagons up inclines.

Images to follow.

I have a similar problem as I am working on a hump shunting yard and the shunting locos I am using are very light. Magnets not really practical for so many sidings so I just stuffed lead into every available space in the locos. It seems to work.

I seem to recall that in the olden days some Triang/Hornby locos had a system called "magnadhesion".

You are correct, this was a system based on magnets fitted into the chassis on steam locomotives. I am not sure what was done on diesel locomotives but this systrm only worked on track made with steel rails not on track with nivkel silver rails as this track is not magnetic.