Cock O' The North runs in reverse

AndrewH56

I wonder if anyone else has this issue.

I recently picked up a LNER 2-8-2 Class P2 'Cock O' the North' with a TTS decoder fitted.

Everything seems to work fine except to make the Loco move in a forward direction I have to select "reverse" on the controller (and vice versa if I want to make the loco go in reverse).

I've done some background searching but can't find any information related to this issue.

"I've done some background searching but can't find any information related to this issue."

I can only suggest that you are not searching 'appropriate terms'.

Subject to who installed the TTS decoder [retailer / factory or a previous owner]. Then the Orange / Grey wires going to the motor have been reversed.

Now assuming that the TTS decoder has been fitted in a DCC Ready loco using the 8 pin decoder socket, then this Orange / Grey wire reversal is the result you get if plugging in the decoder plug the wrong way round. If the decoder plug is inserted 180 degrees from the correct orientation, the loco will still work, but will run in reverse as you are describing. Also, lighting will not work when the connector plug is reversed, but as this loco does not have lights, then you will not see that issue.

Most 8 pin sockets in the locos have a Pin 1 indicator. This might be a triangle or an arrow or a dot [might be a painted dot] or just the number 1. Something that just highlights pin 1 as being pin 1. This pin should be aligned to the pin on the TTS decoder plug that has the Orange wire terminated on it. If a visual inspection shows that the Orange decoder plug wire is already aligned with pin 1 on the socket, then the two wires connected to the motor have been wired in reverse at the factory which is not unheard of. Thus in that scenario just reterminate the wires on the motor the other way round.

Otherwise, your options are to access the decoder and plug the decoder back in the other way round OR amend CV29 to change the value of Bit0 to perform a motor reversal in the decoder configuration. Changing CV29 requires a DCC Controller that is capable of changing CVs ..... loco needs to be placed on the "programming track" to do this.