Is eLink vanished from Hornby?

Hi All,

I have just started railroad modelling, and straight away got an issue, I've always been looking for a dynamic layout, but unfortunately due to lack of knowledge I ordered the Hornby DCC Select, now I come to know that I wont be able to connect it to PC RailMaster, via DCC "Select". Is there anyway I can connect my Select DCC to RailMaster because it seems that eLink is vanished from Hornby Site.

It is not currently possible to use the Hornby Select with RailMaster as the active cable required to convert Hornby eXpressnet to USB was cancelled at the 11th hour.

The Hornby Elite is and continues to be compatible for use with RailMaster.

The eLink when purchased brand new, is bundled with RailMaster, but is not currently in stock with Hornby. Stocks may still be available from online retailers. If you were to go down the Elite route, then the downloaded evaluation copy of RailMaster can be upgraded to a full version via the purchase of a within RailMaster application activation key purchase "about £70".

Be very catious if anybody offers you an eLink or RailMaster second-hand. The RailMaster activation key is NOT transferable and is very actively policed by HRMS [the software developers who own RailMaster]. You will not be able to use a key which has been previously activated by a previous owner, there is absolutely no 'workaround' for this....guaranteed.

No, the Select is Hornby's most basic DCC controller. It only sends the DCC commands that you send using your fingers on the buttons and knob. It is your human brain that is providing the operating intelligence. There is no macro or command sequencing capability. The Elite when used standalone has the same limitation.

All 'automation' intelligence is purely a RailMaster feature capability, but even then it is rather limited as currently there is NO "loco detection (LD)" feedback included in Hornby DCC controller & RailMaster products. You need LD capability if you want to implement FULL automation. RailMaster's automation is basically a timed control system that sends DCC commands on programmed intervals. It is not a two way system that sends a command as a result of a detected trigger event. To detect triggered events you need a detection system which is not currently supported by RailMaster. If you want a FULL automation control with detection feedback solution in the short term** you will need to look at non Hornby products which will cost you many £ hundreds.

Note ** RailMaster may get a LD upgrade in the form of additional detection hardware, but this system has been promised for years and not forthcoming, so I wouldn't base my purchasing decision based upon an expectation of future product availability that may never materialise.