Track Power Issues

Nick-376669

I have built a track layout using an old format guide, R8011 and decided to go down the DCC route. For all the points (10 of them) I have used the surface mounted digital power motor (R8243) and connected them to 3 accessory decoders (R8247) and they, using the supplied clips are fitted to the track (though not connected as yet). To each set of points I have inserted a spring clip as advised. When I connect up the SELECT controller to the control track (R8241) and then to the mains there is no digital display readout on the controller, there is a just a constant sequence of flashing red and green lights from some of the buttons. I have added an additional power adaptor (P9300) and when this is connected to the controller it displays 'EO' in the display which I believe signifies a short circuit. None of the accessory decoders have been connected to the track, I was only going to do this, decoder by decoder, when the SELECT controller is fully functioning.

So the questions I have are: does it matter where the control track is placed in the circuit; should I be using more than one control track (presuming an additional one would also be connected to the same SELECT controller; how do I determine where the short circuit in the layout.

Nick

First of all, thank you for quoting R numbers. It really helps when unrecognised terms are being used in the posted text.

Since you have fitted R8232 DCC clips [what you are calling spring clips] to all the points, then the R8241 Power Track [what you are calling the control track] can be fitted anwhere on the layout within reason. No other R8241 Power Tracks are necessary.

The EO display, as you correctly state, means that the Select controller is seeing a "short circuit". Since you state that the R8247s Accessory Decoders are not yet connected to the track, and assuming that no locos are sitting on the track, then it must be the track that is creating the short circuit.

Diagnostic checks you can perform.

Remove any locos sitting on the track from the track so that only the track is connected to the Select, does EO still display on the Select.

If it does, disconnect the Select from the track. Does the EO still display, if it doesn't then this proves the short circuit is within the track.

If it doesn't show EO with an empty track, then replace any removed locos one at a time until you find the one that triggers the EO error.

If the track proves to be the source of the short, then suspect the points. Hornby points have a very common 'short circuit' fault from the factory. Read FAQ4 in the 'FAQ Index' sticky thread located at the top of the "General Discussion" forum. You will need to remove each point in turn starting with the one furthest away from the R8241 Power Track location, work your way back to the Power Track until you find the point removal that clears the EO error. Note that this factory fault is so common that more than one point may be faulty. A recent member had four faulty points out of eleven.

If there were locos on the track, and removing one of them clears the EO error, then that loco has a 'short circuit' fault and needs to be investigated further.

Note, you wrote:

"I have used the surface mounted digital power motor (R8243)...."

It is operated digitally via the R8247 Accessory Decoder, but the R8243 Point Motor is not itself Digital, it is considered to be an Analogue component.

Note that when installing R8243 Point Motors, alignment is critical and the fixing screws must not be over tightened. The screws should only be done up enough to hold the R8243 in place, it should be possible to feel slight movement of the R8243 case with one's fingers. Over tightening the screws can affect the motor operation [it can stick], particularly with the R8247 Accessory Decoder which has a weak output.

This is a very long reply and this is your first forum post. Please do not use the "Blue button with white arrow" this is not a "Reply to this post" button. To reply, scroll to the bottom of the page and write your reply in the "Reply Text Box" and click the green "Post Reply" button.

Many thanks. I'm pretty sure it is the track that is short circuiting. Can I just be clear, as I remove a set points to check if they are shorting, do I have replace them temporarily with a piece of straight track to maintain continuity of the circuit? Then if that set of points is not shorting, take out the piece of straight track, replace the points and carry on moving round the circuit as you recommend? Finally, if I find that the cause is a set(s) of dud points, is there any obligation on the seller (Jadlam) to replace them free of charge?

Nick

If they were purchased within the Warranty period (assuming new and not secondhand), then if the product is faulty then the seller is legally obliged to refund or replace. Read the sellers terms and conditions regarding whether they refund your postage costs as well, they are (I believe) only responsible for the product costs.

Regarding testing method. This is the reason I said start with the point FURTHEST away (from a track route point of view) from where the controller power is connected to the layout. As long as there is a track route that is intact between the point being tested and the controller connection, then there is no need to insert straight track pieces to fill the gaps. This assumes that all points have R8232 DCC point clips fitted.

Ideally, you should have access to a multimeter so that you can check each point individually as they are individually removed. As documented in my FAQ I pointed you to in my previous reply. Multimeters are a valuable tool to have in your toolbox and can be purchased cheaply from ebay for less than £8 delivered.