R 3873 APT 5 car set

Bicester Derry

Can anyone help? I've just taken delivery of the new APT (looks fab), but I am a tad confused; do I need 2 x 8 pin decoders? One for the drivers car and one for the motor car or just 1 for the motor car?

The instructions seem to be somewhat lacking on the subject apart from showing where to fit them, and once fitted, how do I programme the second one in the drivers car?

This subject has been aired in a previous post and it was generally accepted that, as per the instructions with the pack, one decoder would be needed in each driving car and one in each non-driving motor (NDM) - i.e. 3 decoders for your 5-car set.

Others will advise on programing.

Just note that the R8249 is an older design decoder and does normally need to see a motor load when installed in non motorised stock for programming.

If you experience issues programming the non motor car decoders, then temporarily relocate them to the motor car for programming, then put them back into the non motorised cars after they have been programmed.

Can I also take the opportunity to advise that there is no need to requote the whole previous post [now removed] when your reply is directly after it. The "blue button with white arrow" is not a "Reply to this post" button. It is preferred if you would scroll to the bottom of the page and write any reply you want to make in the "Reply Text Box" and click the green "Post Reply" button. Thank you in advance for your cooperation.