Hornby Dublo Locos on a new layout ?

Alan-1237850

Hello there from a newbie.

Apologies if this has been asked recently but I have looked through and searched "Hornby Dublo" but can't find the relevant info.

I have my late fathers collection of Hornby Dublo Locos wagons and carriages that ran on the 2 rail system. He built a layout for himself and subsequently myself which then got dismantled. I then made a new layout for my son but this has not been used for well over 15 years now and the old track is past its best. All of the Locos (An 8F, Deltic class55, BoBo1000hp diesel & the EMU Railcar) did run when put away last. It also had my Sons Flying Scotsman set and other new wagons running on it.

So i am now thinking I would like to get back into this and I would like to keep running Dads old Hornby Dublo pieces (as there is a lot of wagons?carriages with the old style Lug type coupler) as well as newer Hornby Trains, but think I will have to purchase new track for a new layout. I will stay DC at the moment (due to the old stuff, which i know may be converted) but I would like to learn to walk again before I run !!.

I intend to have 2 loops of 2nd & 3rd radius so my questions are :-

Will all of my Dublo Locos etc run on new code 100 type track?

Is there any pros / cons of using Hornby or Peco type track for the Dublo?

I'm thinking insul frog rather than electro frog?

I have seen somewhere about modern points (particularly the curved points) being a problem with older Locos and or wagons/carriages.

Has anyone else tried or done this? i'm guessing yes !

Please can I have your thoughts - even if you think its a non starter.

Thanks in advance

Al

hi ,,,I would also say the answer is yes but I do believe the wheel flanges are a bit bigger on the older stuff such as your dads Dublo and they ride upon the rail chairs ,hope that all make sense, anyway im no expert but im sure I've read about this problem numerous times,im sure someone who knows for certain will be along soon, hope this has been some help.

Yes it should do. Before I went DCC I used to run my Wrenn locos around my track ( I changed to DCC but the track is the same). I am pretty sure the Hornby Dublo wheels are the same as Wrenn ones, I don't think Wrenn made them any thinner when they started to produce the old Hornby Dublo locos. If it was Triang ones you might have an issue. My layout is code 100 Peco track so probably pretty modern.

Comparing the wheels on my Hornby Dublo R1 and Wrenn LMS 0-6-2, I find that these are the same and as my Wrenn loco will run on my current layout with PECO code 100 rail, I would say the Hornby Dublo should. (I cannot test the R! as I have nor fitted it with a chip yet.

I would also add that my Wrenn wagons and Pullmans run fine.

Hi Alan

I do not think you wll have any problem running older Dublo on code 100 track but you will need a transformer/controller with enough oomph to run them. Most modern controllers, especially the "train set" type do not put out enough amps successfully to run the older, power hungry, dublo locos. They tend to cut out after a few minutes running because the power drain overloads them, and have to be left for a few minutes to cool down and re-set.

You might have a problem running older Triang locos because the flanges are deeper than the Dublo flanges and tend to ride on the sleepers, causing poor electrical contact with the track and derailments on points.

Enjoy your modelling.