Loco Speeds

Malshome111

Evening all, my son and I have just set up a simple two oval layout in the loft and got to testing it today. We tried three different locos all DC: ‘Smokey joe’ which flew round at half setting; the 158 went round a bit slower and picked up and slowed down here and there, but the class 66 crawled round. Track has been cleaned…..am at a loss to explain such speed differences. Anyone help with some thoughts?

It is not unusual for locos to exhibit slower speeds. They don't always run at Scalextric speeds.

The "Smokey Joe" is based upon a very cheap basic chassis. This class of Hornby model is often referred to as a "pocket rocket". Running like a 'hare' would be normal IMO for this type of model.

The Class 66 is likely to be a high detail model, thus the mechanical gearing will be configured for more prototypical operation.

Of course, there is crawling and there is crawling. This is a rather subjective observation to document in text. What you consider 'crawling' might be considered normal by others. On the other hand, it could very well have a drive issue and running unusually slow. A video of your observations posted on YouTube with a link to it published in this thread would be the clincher for members to make a more valid judgement with regard what is normal or not.

As this is your very first post on this forum it would be appreciated if any replies you want to make are made using the "Reply Text Box" at the bottom of the page and not by clicking the within post blue button. Thank you for your cooperation.

I just tried my one and it definitely ran quite fast, fast enough to derail. My one is the Lima one fitted with a new Hornby chassis with the 5 pole motor, not the ringfield motor type. It is also DCC sound. The only thing I did notice was it sped up appreciably between 80 and 100 % setting, so perhaps the voltage is not high enough.

Further to my post yesterday, I tried my other Hornby class 66, Evening Star. This one runs even better. Both of mine have the latest Hornby chassis/motor, but I don't know if your one is ringfield based or like mine. Perhaps it just needs lubricating.

Thanks Going Spare I didn't know that. I have a Lima class 66 that I converted to the Hornby specification by fitting a new chassis and bogies and an Evening Star class 66 bought from new. So I suppose it could be the traction tyres are not gripping, but you should hear that otherwise it tends to point to the motor.