Big reductions at Hattons

VESPA

Overlap time - of course they'll be on view occasionally!

I generally have a mix - 'preserved steam' and some more modern, and just rotate between.

Interesting change of pantograph I know, but at the time they were just so impressive.

There used to be a simultaneous departure - huge rake of Mk.3's with an 87 at the front ... then on another platform a 47, revving up, warming up, for 10-15 minutes before the 5 past departure ....

Driver mounts the cab of the 87 3 to 5 minutes before, drops off his flask and newspaper, drops down for a quick inspection, then finally gets in, sits down, fans are heard ... and he's off!! Out of sight pretty quickly as well.

Al.

I think we lost them all Colin, at reductions. The full scale railways standardised parts particularly BR and the GWR, LMS, LNER, and Southern to some extent as well. Tri-ang took this idea on board to reduce production costs, as you rightly say today's new models are getting to be all totally individual parts wise right down to the motors, this means less repairable models and higher production costs.

At present the catalouge is trying to be all things to all people, the range is far too big to be sustainable, Hornby needs to really thin the catalouge out. Tri-ang and indeed Hornby had a nice balance of models with the odd new one each each year, perhaps it could be got down to two new locos each year, a couple of new coaches and two new wagons, new signals and level crossings etc., with models withdrawn to keep the level of interest going in new models and keep a more easily manufactured range going.

Had a look at some of the bargains and seen some older models, perhaps Hattons are clearing stocks? Certainly some good bargains there, much cheaper than anything found on ebay and new condition as well, can't be bad.