X1480 WIRING HARNESS/COLLECTOR ASSEMBLY

Ralphy51

I'm servicing an R398 Flying Scotsman and one of the loco pick ups is sparking and not making good contact.

According to the service sheet 131, part X1480 was originally available to replace the pick up assembly. Does anyone know if these are still available anywhere or alternatively does anyone have any advice please?

It is unlikely that you will find the X1480 pick-up assembly now as it was done away with some 30 years ago and not even the individual S3992 'sword' collector strips are now available.

Can you ascertain why the collector is sparking and not making good contact (dirt/corrosion on it or the wheel rim or both, or no longer insulated from the chassis block?) and rectify the cause?

It is unlikely that you will find the X1480 pick-up assembly now as it was done away with some 30 years ago and not even the individual S3992 'sword' collector strips are now available.
Can you ascertain why the collector is sparking and not making good contact (dirt/corrosion on it or the wheel rim or both, or no longer insulated from the chassis block?) and rectify the cause?

Thanks for the comments . It’s slightly damaged at the tip . I don’t know if I simply put a tiny amount of solder on the end that might sort it to be honest .

I find this post a bit interesting in the fact that this is an old tender drive loco. In its original form the pickups are the axles of the loco and the tender, connected together by the drawbar. It might be on this model rather than using the axles it is using the sword type pickups a carry over from when the chassis used a X04 motor. I think on my early one it did use them, on the later ones it used the axles. Now the part you are referring to are the sword type pickups which it might be using instead of the axles on the loco. Either way Lendons had stocks of them last time I looked. You will have to solder them together. The old Britannia uses the same part.