Mainline locomotive spares

Woolf

Hi I realise this is the Hornby forum, however I am hoping with a large number of enthusiasts someone may be able to help me. I am wondering whether it is possible to still obtain parts for the Mainline locos from the 80s.

Many thanks

Peter’s Spares has produced some of the mid-axle insulators for the split chassis locos. There is also at least one person on eBay that is producing new 3D printed parts for some Mainline locos. Sometimes the easiest and cheapest option is a donor loco, strip it for the parts you want and sell on those that you don’t want. However you may find it a bit addictive and want to repair that….and then the next one and the next….

Not directly related to the main topic but I've never been a fan of Bachmann split-chassis locos and wouldn't have thought of using them as a replacement. I only buy split-chassis Bachmann locos if it's something rare I find that the axles come loose from the insulated centres so the loco waddles like a duck. The chassis also wear so that the metal wheel axles no longer make contact. To remedy this I strip them down and give a thorough clean and degrease. Put brass shims in the bottom of the chassis "troughs" to re-make the contact, then glue the axles back into the centre insulators with epoxy.

The only issue I have had with Bachmann split chassis locos is the insulators that fit between the wheel axles. You can get them new from Bachmann. I also replaced the plastic "top hat" washers that hold the two halves together. I also bought some conductive grease so that I got good electrical contact and lubrication on the wheels. I converted all of mine to DCC and they still run well, probably a lot better than my ringfield based locos, although I have sold most of these.