flying scotsman valve gear

bob 340

hi my flying scotsman has a problem with the valve gear locking up and i am having a problem trying to cure it has anyone had this problem and how did you cure it your help with this problem would be most welcome regards bob

Generally when my valve gear "locks up" it is a case of one of the rivets getting jammed with another moving part of the gear. With the loco upside down look at the valve gear and move the front wheel side to side and see if any of the links can touch each other. Also check the rivets that hold it together, sometimes they need squeezing up to make them a little bit tighter. You don't say which loco it is, the valve gear is different between the Railroad and detailed locos. Also check the cylinder block, I have had issues where that can cause issues. The other thing is it tender driven or loco driven, I was always having issues on tender driven locos with the valve gear "locking up".

It's quite possibly a result of how you're handling the locomotive, or perhaps on one occasion.

The coupling and piston rods are notoriously flimsy and bend / deform very easily. If possible invert and even using a 9V battery if not power connectors, part move forwards / backwards to see which catch where - if deformed rods, they can be easily, gently reshaped.

It can also be the retaining bolts, holding the rods onto the wheels, which undo - a 2.5mm hex driver is required - do not force as you can easily snap the heads off - done this at least once!

Longshot, the 'quartering' may require review - this is more complicated.

Al.