Class 91 Durham Cathedral

Skier

Hi All

I have recently purchased a Hornby Class 91 “Durham Cathedral”. I have a large collection of Hornby locos ranging from older models up to the likes of the re-tooled HST - all running on a DCC layout.

Every model I have purchased has been excellent and I’ve never had any issues up until now.

I had been looking forward to the arrival of the Class 91 after the excellent HST but unfortunately it has been a disappointment. Whilst the loco is finished superbly it is not a good runner. My layout is not huge, is made of all Hornby set track pieces and does not have many complicated track configurations. Since it’s arrival the Class 91 has struggled to cope with it. It is a very “clunky” runner particularly over point work where is often derails. It also struggles with 2nd and 3rd radius curves. My track work is level when a spirit level is laid across it and I rarely have any derailments. I have spent ages working to improve the sections that the Class 91 was not happy with but it has made little difference. This afternoon I set my HST running and it didn’t put a foot wrong. I then set the Class 91 running at the same speed on the same track and it derailed twice, wiped out the barriers on my level crossing and then shorted out my DCC controller so it required a reset as the loco had essentially left the track.

This I’m afraid was the last straw and it is going back for a refund. It just would not run reliably enough - you have to watch it constantly. Issue seems to be with the front bogie that has very little lateral movement so any slight undulation in the track makes the lead wheels lift off the rails and then derail. It also gets bounced across point work hence the clunking noises.

A real shame all round - hoping the Class 87 to replace it is altogether better.

Regards

I've 2 'new tool' class 87's - both are superb runners.

Strangely, the older one runs faster than the newer one - which runs perfectly well and doesn't heat up (indicating motor being worked harder than it should), so gearing may have changed (newer is Stephenson / Royal Scot).

How is the bogie articulation of the 91? Might be something catching?

Are the wheels free to move side-to-side in the bogies - don't know which method they've used, but perhaps they're a little 'sticky' in lateral movement?

Al.

It is well documented on UTube that the new class 91’s are poor runners especially over points, according to some posts I have read it is due to excessive lateral movement of the axles . I purchased two of these locos and as usual total disappointment with the running qualities and the awful plastic pantograph so they were returned. I can confirm what Atom says about the class 87’s they really are superb models.

Instead of a class 87, I would buy the new Bachmann class 90, wonderful model, runs brilliantly. Having said that I have a Hornby class 87, the new type and it too is a good runner. The Bachmann though is probably cheaper. Oh I forgot and on DCC the pantograph can be raised or lowered. I looked at the class 91, but the price put me off, I am now glad it did.

So where are this bad reviews of this model? All I could find were glowing reports as to how good the model is. Another one with videos of one crossing multiple points. I definitely believe that there is an issue, I have a W1 that gets stuck on one of my points where all the reviews I read, except Sam's tell me it is a wonderful model. Sadly Sam of Sam's Trains doesn't tend to do reviews of many modern diesels. I know he doesn't always get it right but his reviews are the most balanced.

Thanks a lot for the link. Having watched the video I can see why the other video of it crossing points looked ok, the loco was travelling at speed. They look like Peco electrofrog points. Interestingly my W1 has a similar issue with one point on my layout, run at speed no issue, except a "clonk" as it goes over the point, slow speed it actually gets stuck. Wonder if the issue with the class 91 occurs just with a certain few? We have all watched the Hornby TV program where they test over multiple points, so how did they get it wrong? Unfortunately for Hornby their locos are now in a price band where people will expect a high level of quality, it is not so easy to throw away a £200 model.

It is interesting about the pantograph, I have not looked at it so don't know much about it. I recently bought one of those ones that the Chinese sell on EBay, really nice metal based item. I bought it as I thought it is useful if any of mine break. So seeing as they get their locos made in China you would think that they might approach the firm that sells the ones on EBay to design a decent one for their models. That is the sensible way of "outsourcing", you use a firms product if it is better than what you can make.

• 3 weeks later...