B12 steam loco

robert-67623

Hi,

Just running in my new R3432 B12 steam loco. I left it running on my oval track for 30 minutes and the loco body was very hot. I left it for 40 minutes to cool down then put the loco in reverse for 25 minutes again the loco body is hot.

The loco runs ok.

Any suggestions?

Robert

Check out 'Sam's Trains'' videos ... you will have a lot of answers.

Others have similarly responded with their own Youtube videos.

Basically the retooled B12 is a beautiful locomotive - I have one - but it appears the motor has inconsistent QC prior to being installed - some are OK, others not, and some start failing. It's normally motor related.

Mine does heat up, but running at half to 2/3 power for 30-40 minutes' time poses no real issues with a 6-10 coach rake - during which, it will warm up, but not that much.

Al.

Not a lot of information to go on. I think you need to provide more information e.g. is it analogue or does it have DCC fitted?

Also, as I keep saying ad nauseam, buy a cheap digital multimeter and measure the current the loco is drawing, otherwise you and anyone who wants to offer advice are working in the dark. You probably spent over £100 on this loco and a basic multimeter will cost around £10.

If it is drawing excessive current it's faulty and if it's new I wouldn't mess around trying to diagnose the fault further. It should be returned to the seller for a refund.

Yes, Sam of Sam's Trains did I really good review of the issues with his one. The fix he eventually applied, basically a Bachmann motor with a 3 D printed adaptor actually made the loco better. He should start selling them as upgrade kits. Trouble is more and more I am getting the opinion that Hornby is more interested in the detail of the model rather than whether it runs reliably. The least they could do as a company is provide a cheap source of fully tested replacement motors. All these faults are not doing their reputation any good at all.