Hornby Iron Duke missing wheel

ghost-1256192

Hiya

Either take it back to place of purchase for refund or see if they have got a spare wheel, or try go on line to "Peter Spares" or Google for a spare wheel or do you have a Local Model Shop - they might have some thing to help you with!!! 🚂

Your Britannia 'Iron Duke' was an early release of the tender-drive version, which also being a set loco I think had plain plastic bogie wheels rather than being fitted with metal rims as on later versions. If so, I am fairly sure the wheel you need is part S5054, or to upgrade to metal-rimmed wheels, source 4 x X0735 with S2336 axles.

As stated, the wheels are the same as the early Britannia, but also the Triang (Not the modern Hornby) Princess and the 3MT tank. It might be cheaper to buy a full front bogie off eBay, you need the type with a coupling on it. You’d probably get more options from a search for Triang Princess.

Iron Duke has some of the Britannia valve gear and the smoke deflectors missing to make it easier and cheaper to make, I think it was in a set only available in a catalogue, possibly Littlewoods.

As stated, the wheels are the same as the early Britannia, but also the Triang (Not the modern Hornby) Princess and the 3MT tank. It might be cheaper to buy a full front bogie off eBay, you need the type with a coupling on it. You’d probably get more options from a search for Triang Princess.
Iron Duke has some of the Britannia valve gear and the smoke deflectors missing to make it easier and cheaper to make, I think it was in a set only available in a catalogue, possibly Littlewoods.

thanks for the help guys. you this kinda thing will fit

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/225070206249?hash=item34673acd29:g:hXkAAOSwOwFhgqL8&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAoKMW%2BDAprNwVfaE2raESeZ5Lnw9vPE5AYTvnlrvtF9uweeH5i9mCG9kUfetA63uFPPTWelQKPMJaKn%2F9gwDNe2eJSPE20Mf87BCEUjKIB8PWWZjJshRYUA4cIeq8%2BKLlUEBKEw9akf0j2V3%2BO7V2ARglAKkH9ydv9ZplyY61SVLsCo9D4wKoEK4NnmmM%2FUvm7dTcdVWrT84fpA2ROD6juwQ%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR8Tw8q_XYA

It depends do you want originality or do you want it to work. If you want it to work, then work out which current Hornby model it is close to, then buy a complete front bogie and strip the wheels to put in your old loco. I did this with a lot of my Hornby locos to make the front bogies negotiate my points. Surprisingly on new Hornbys, although some people on this site advocate getting the exact right part, in many cases wheels are shared between models. I have been repairing a Royal Scot and found the wheels were exactly the same as a Duchess. It is not surprising really in the real world several locos would have shared parts to make maintenance better, so similarly the models will in certain cases do the same.

Another useful fact is it quite often cheaper to buy the new part off Lendons in Cardiff (if they have it) than a secondhand one off EBay.