0-6-0 spare motor

96RAF

Basically, just virtually all versions of the generic 0-6-0 chassis as used under 0-6-0Ts (Jinties, J52/83s and GWR open-cab P/Ts, Thomas, Duck, etc) and the class 08 shunter all of which still produced are now in the Railroad series.

The type 7 motor, however, has a multitude of additional uses: later UK-based B12, Fowler tank and Battle of Britain (not all versions); Class 58, class 142 Pacer and 466 Networker, R070 turntable.

While I do not have examples of the relevant 0-6-0 chassis blocks to compare the detail differences between them (and therefore am quite happy to be corrected) I can't help but feel that New Modellers Shop is being overly negative in stating that the X8809-series of motors/motor carriers can not be used on chassis where the centre wheels carry traction tyres.

X8809 was introduced in around 2003 when tyres were still fitted but the chassis was upgraded such that the motor carrier incorporated pick-ups on both sides of the leading and trailing wheelsets.

In about 2006, sets were introduced with the first DCC 0-6-0 loco's and the motor assembly was renumbered X8809D to reflect the additional wiring to link to the decoder, but tyres were still fitted to the centre wheelset.

Finally, in 2008, the chassis was upgraded to its current form by deleting the sprung axle and the tyred centre wheels which gave the opportunity to modify the motor carrier so that pick-ups bore also on the centre wheels - X8809M (DC) / X8809DM (DCC).

I can not find any reference to the chassis block being modified to accept any of the X8809-series motor carriers so I would say that virtually all of this type of 0-6-0 chassis of China manufacture, whether fitted with tyred wheels or not, should accept the carrier without any modification (other than the tappings to take the decoder holder screws).

UK-made versions of this chassis (from 1987) as illustrated by New Modellers Shop WILL need modifying.