Hornby - Hush Hush Variations

10 Class

Hello everyone.

Can anyone tell me if Hornby R3979 & R30126 are in fact identical locomotives, please?

I take it they are both with double blast pipe, however, one has a smoke lifting cowl.

Is it worth buying the 2 of them, if there is only a minor difference between the 2?

Thanks in advance.

In reply to 10 class, I have examined the pictures of R3979 and R30126 in the catalogues with a magnifying glass. The only difference that I can see is a change in the profile at the front of the locomotive.The tapering of the streamlining at the front of the locomotive (R3979) is replaced by an outline which is horizontal. This as a result of modelling to include the smoke lifting cowl.

Thank you for the quick response to Hush Hush Variations.

I understand the situation now, after studying the pictures in the Hornby Catalogue. (Thank you Anglia998.)

So how many versions of the same locomotive will that make, i wonder?

Maybe, the smoke lifting cowl, could of been made as a separate fitting for R3979? (Double Blast Pipe)

No wonder the full size railways were always struggling financially, with all the experimenting that went on, and all for nothing in the end - all scrapped.

Thanks again.

That goes on all the time in most organizations. I worked for Ford, I worked on an 4x4 XR3i and Fiesta 2 stroke that never made the light of day. Then was a Fiesta "Rag Top" (sun roof that peels back like a Dyane) and probably more I never saw. It is called development, some ideas work others fail.

Not sure if this answer 10 Class question:- "So how many versions of the same locomotive will that make, I wonder?"

Well, the 2 Hush Hush I have are the R3842 (LNER (Promotional) Class W1) & the R3841 (British Enterprise) & the only 2 differences between them are the colour & name!!! I've done a double running session if you want to see :-

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Is the R 30126 the DCC 21 PIN version.

Yes it is. Could have sworn it was 8-pin when I pre-ordered it though. thinking_face

That's why I have waited until I get my hands on recent Hornby releases before buying decoders as it is not clear what you are going to get during this transition away from 8-Pin (especially for something pre-ordered from either very early this year or last year)

The new Flying Scotsman centenary models indicate 8-Pin, however I wonder what purchasers will actually get ;) - or how many will care as they don't intend to run the model anyway