How to lock Tender to Loco permanently in Tornado

Deem

I have Hornby R3060 Tornado which have been fitted with TTS by previous owner, 2 wires from Loco going to Tender for speaker.

Tender connecting rod is fixed in Tender by Loco side is not fixed one. Any way I can make that permanent without altering or making it look ugly.

Thanks in advance for help.

Regards

Well the way I do it is to move the DCC socket to the tender and then wire it as per the later models. For the loco end what I did was snap off the pin that connects to the drawbar, file it flat then drill with a 2mm drill and tap it with a m2.5 tap. Then you can screw in an m2.5 stepped screw to permanently attach loco to tender. I get the stepped screws from China, I has as yet, not found a UK supplier. Sometimes if you scan through the loco screw packs Hornby supplies, that are still in stock there may be one in there. Expensive way to buy a stepped screw but that may be the only way.

DIY shops often have assorted packs of those spring grip (Starlock) washers, the type you can push on easily but can’t get off without destroying them. I have seen them used to hold the pantographs on some Hornby locos.

Or you could find a suitable nut and use it to run a thread onto the post.

forum_image_6337eee4cb40b.png.37c605d818be3073edc90f88e8d69a61.png

forum_image_6338b4771d0cc.thumb.png.e22d441307094fef506fb6297dd2e590.pngforum_image_6338b47b40936.thumb.png.837099a50ea0af3103fed3ce0d1b39cf.png

I remembered having these washers I bought to use them when I was considering old DC motor to DCC so I can use these washers between the screws. It was tight fit so I am hoping this will stays on and hold the Loco and Tender secured.

Regards