Hornby R2355 Q1 Sound Decoder availbility

Deem

It could be just the speaker. To only blow up the sound stage sounds like you have shorted out the speaker outputs. Generally if you short anything else out, the whole decoder doesn't work anymore. It could be that the speaker is duff, the only other thing to check next time is if you use the sugar cube speakers they have spring connections that stick up either side for the speaker, it is incredibly easy to accidentally have these touch some piece of metal and short out. That is why I use Iphone or the bass reflex speakers as they have less bits of metal sticking out. Trouble is they are too big for fitting in the loco. YouChoos do an ICE cube speaker that has better connections.

Thanks - 96RAF and ColinB

I did attach the original speaker but still no sound, spoken to Hornby and they have given return reference no, so I can send the item back.

I did see the smoke coming out when decoder touch the sugarcube speaker. So I am assuming where speaker touch the decoder must be amp component which is shortened or blown.

Update

I have received the replacement Decoder from Hornby thanks to you all for your support.

Insulated the decoder first before attempting to change the speaker and install in Class Q1 body.

Sugercube speaker is working fine, very very tight fit and more importantly not happy with sound, so I may have to run 2 wires from Loco to Tender so I can install bass reflex speaker to have decent sound. Also avoid long term damage to either decoder or any wiring due to very tight fit having everything in the Loco.

Regards