Uni-directional issues with Lima Class 20 (TTS decoder fitted)

Deem

Don't think of the buttons on the controller as left and right. They are better thought of as forwards and reverse.

When the forwards button is pressed, the loco should always move forwards (a steam loco would be boiler first) no matter whether It's facing left or right on the track.

The fundamental difference we are talking about here is that in DC, the controller controls the power to the track and consequentially any and all locos placed on that track. In DCC, the controller controls the loco. Yes, the DCC power goes to the track but the locos only respond when the controller tells them to and then individually and separately (not all at once as in DC).

Consequently in DCC FWD is a loco direction unlike DC where it is a track direction.

All clear as mud so far?

But as well as that, Deem is describing a TTS decoder firmware bug which causes the logic above to only apply in one track direction. In this direction the loco works, in the other it doesn’t (eg. if placed with its physical forward to the left as viewed by the operator, it works, but if placed with its forward to the right, it doesn’t. Or it might be vice versa physically).

PS. Much better title Rob. Title should spell out what the actual problem is, not use a substitute or proxy for it. In this instance, Deem used weird as his problem title which was a proxy for the actual problem - Uni-directional running issue.

There is nothing wrong with it. As we keep saying the direction arrows on the controller are loco fwd = left arrow and loco rev = right arrow. The loco goes fwd on left arrow no matter which way it is facing on track.

Deem, if you imagine you are holding a loco in mid air and somehow you are getting power signals to the decoder. With the control arrow facing left, the wheels are turning in a forward direction. Now, without altering the control knob, slowly turn the loco through 180 degrees so it is facing in the opposite direction. The wheels are still turning in a forward direction - right!

In other words, the controller doesn't know, or care which direction the loco is facing on the track.

Thanks everyone and specially 96RAF for all your help. I was worried that either all or most of my TTS decoders are faulty.

But as it turns out only one which is in Lima Class 20 TTS which have serious issue.

Hornby customer care wrote today asking how decoder is connected to Loco, I reply that it's via socket and second question was what's CV 159 value, which I informed them is Value 159 as well.

Hopefully they will help resolve this or maybe I will have to send them just the decoder.

Thanks again guys, really appreciate.

Regards

CV value screen shot is attached as well which I sent to Hornby.forum_image_6348868ef1418.thumb.png.5eb195175d16ab24c0abfd12a4da9217.png

CV 159 tells them what the decoder firmware revision state is, hence is it pre/post the uni-directional fettle.

The fact it is plugged in means you should be able to send the decoder not the loco and decoder.

Hello

I recevied last email from Hornby (Thursday last week), asking me to provide - how the decoder mounted and what's the value of CV159, I provided required information on the same day.

Since than it's been totally silent and I am assuming they must have tons of email to go through but is there anything else I can do to help, get my decoder reset by Hornby.

Regards

Hello
I recevied last email from Hornby (Thursday last week), asking me to provide - how the decoder mounted and what's the value of CV159, I provided required information on the same day.
Since than it's been totally silent and I am assuming they must have tons of email to go through but is there anything else I can do to help, get my decoder reset by Hornby.
Regards

Ring them up.

With ref to your traction tyre post that is best deleted and a new one raised in the General Discussion section.

Thanks guys for your advice, followed it.

Spoke to hornby and when I explain, the situation, I was given ref no with full address so I can post. I have posted the decoder and let's hope I hear from Hornby soon with positive outcome to my problem.

Regards

Hello everyone.

Just wanted thanks all who helped in resolving this matter, I have received faulty and replacement decoder.

First I thought they send me just faulty decoder back after fixing it however I tested and fault was still present, I was quite depressed. But check the box and notice another decoder in the box, installed in Loco and WOW, Loco is running lovely in as it suppose to run and doesn't matter which direction loco is on track.

Thanks again everyone.