Intercity125 not running on track

Jude-1243757

I don't know if anybody has ever had this problem before but I will add it in as a possibility if that's ok.

I have an HST and during a running session 1 day in my former property I was running it as a 2 + 9 set with both powercars motored.

All of a sudden on 1 lap the leading powercar stopped and the trailing piwercar derailed the rest of the train including itself.

Immediately I took the motor out of the leading powercar after rerailing the rest of the set, opened the motor up, found the springs and brushes were sound and the copper plates were all clean.

After a bit of head scratching I took the commutator out and Immediately found the problem, it turned out the windings on 1 of the segments had split and were shorting out on the motor block.

The only option I had was replace ( luckily I had some spare ) but in addition to the replacement I put a tiny washer over the spindle which was enough to lift the new commutator away from the motor block as I figured that the old commutator had been shorting on it.

After fitting the replacement with the tiny washer ( note, the washer must be the same size as the middle of the commutator as it muct not touch the windings ), I refitted the brass gear, reassembled the motor and once it was reconnected to the leading bogie I tested it off the track and found it was running much better than it did before the failure.

Once coupled to the rest of the set it was rocketing around on 2 motors.

Also it might be worth checking that the wheels on the leading bogie ( cab end ) are the right way round.

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone quick update on this problem I found a guy that repairs Hornby trains in my country that I live in I sent the 3 trains that I had including the intercity 125 he had a look at them it turns out they needed new brushes new pickups and there was excess oil in motor so he also put on new traction tires he charged me 70 dollars for each train so for the 3 trains it came to about 240 dollars that included postage back to me the good news is they all run really good now no problems at all so that’s great I wanted to thank everyone who gave me help and support for this problem as well it’s great that there is a lot of people on this forum willing to help in this hobby many thanks