Hornby Dublo Flying Scotsman series

96RAF

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was tempted at first then I saw the price. It is £40 more than the A4 Sir Nigel Gresley. I too have the steam fitted version on pre order so I think I will give this one a miss. There are 4 variants so I doubt they will be one for the "scalpers" on EBay.

Not directly related to the Hornby Dublo Flying Scotsman, but there was an item about the actual loco on the BBC news today. It's always puzzled me why, when the National Railway Museum restored it, they did it in BR livery and added those ugly smoke deflectors and the double chimney. The double chimney and smoke deflectors were presumably added for practical reasons, but there are plenty of restored locos without them. And why didn't they restore it to original LNER livery with its famous number?

I did ask the NRM about it at the time of the restoration but didn't get a sensible answer. I think they've totally ruined it.

Improved boiler, and deflectors necessary to deflect out of driver's eyesight - unfortunately.

I prefer 'the Peglar look' as well, but suspect it may even be considered a 'safety consideration'.

I prefer 6233 DoS without blinkers, as I saw her at Bressingham in the 70's (Duchess of Sutherland) but have been blown out of the water for the same reasons.

I've got both models of Scottie. R2687 LNER and the later edition blinkered SD one.

Al.

I waited for the Goebbels bulletin at 13.00 to see the advertised article on Flying Scotsman., which never transpired on Goebbels channel one. I have several versions of Flying Scotsman from A1 to A3 to NRM restoration. I prefer the smoke deflectors and BR green, but that is a personal choice. I spent many happy hours on the footplate, at Carnforth, back in the 70's. I will NOT be purchasing any of the newer versions at that ridiculous price. I can get my Jaguar XE serviced for that by the dealer.

I have 8 variations (poss 9) Six in a cabinet with one of the double tender (blue) ones just the loco. It revolves around tenders, chimneys A1 to A3 banjo dome from round, liveries and the US tour versions (2, 3 4) I have lost count but Hornby should give the NRM a donation for the loco after all the money they have made out of it. My first sighting was in LNER green at Northwich, Cheshire, on an excursion.

Given the loco's working history both in service and in preservation and the extent of the restoration by NRM it seems likely that little remains of the original loco save half of the mainframes and some of the wheel centres. If that is the case, is the Hornby version not a model of a replica? I'm not knocking the NRM, by the way.

Starting from 1968 there have been at least 10 versions including the live steam version and this new HD one

There's a lot more than 10 versions. I have 17 and still don't have them all. I need the black wartime one numbered 502 on one side and 103 on the other that I know of. There are at least 4 double tendered versions alone, green water tender. blue water tender, American tour with bell/cowcatcher etc and the 18crt gold version.

High price for a metal body but then I guess that is why they are normally made of plastic.

So the cost of this loco at £362, the average weekly wage being about £580 compared to the proportion it was when the original Dublo locomotives. In the 1950s the average UK weekly wage was about £7.50, I am guessing it’s now actually a much lower percentage than the original Dublo loco.

What I do is compare the price with a similar type loco as I did in my earlier post. It is £40 dearer than the Hornby Dublo Sir Nigel Gresley. Now it may be that Hornby are having to pay a Royalty to the NRM hence the higher price. I know that the Battle of Britain Winston Churchill is a lot more expensive than the other Battle of Britain locos again because of the NRM connection. It is silly comparing prices today against wages and then doing the same for 50 years ago, as if you did it with a TV or any electronics you would see how silly that comparison was. What you should be doing is comparing the price with other manufactures equivalent models to get a better idea. So lets say a diecast body is an extra £50, then using the latest high detail Hornby loco Evening Star as a datum which is £253 then the model should cost about £300 add on license fee of £20 to NRM and it is £320. Trouble is with the earlier HD models there weren't many so they were more desirable, but with these there are 4 versions. I bought 3 of the original HD models which were £265 each, for this model that is £100 more.

Hi David

The 10 versions I am talking about are the 10 year dates of an updated version was made starting in

1968 when 7 different versions were made

1981 there were 10 different versions made

1998 there were 5 different versions made

2005 there were 8 different versions made

2005 live steam 2 versions made

2007 there were 3 versions made

2012 there were 2 versions made

Plus newer ones

This is a reply to David_Watts1.

Hello David. I have pulled a section of my database of Hornby Steam Locomotives to give you a complete list of all the FS models. The list includes sets as it is not possible to determine for certain which model is used in the set. As a matter of interest R.30210 is described by Hornby as an A3. It is in fact an A1.

forum_image_6349f75150f2d.png.a1c7e5cf098476b34ea1a9a188080907.pngforum_image_6349f752bbf76.thumb.png.cfcb91293ce63b1f7f0f3e21a8234a51.png

I'm with ColinB - I thought it would be nice to get a New F. S. in a Presentation Box as my other F. S. is getting a bit old - but when I saw the Price - I was like 😮 I remember Sam's Trains saying a while ago about the Locos hitting the £300.00 mark, but I think that this has blown it out of the water @ £362.99!!! I've just noticed another off-putting thing about it - it is - you've guessed it - on 'Pre-order' - so how long do we have to wait this time for them??? 🤔🚂