R3855 Queen Maud - Discount

DarkRedCape

I had one when they first come out but sold it when I changed to LMS area. I have since bought all the new LMS livery Royals.

They are lovely models only spoilt by the inability to turn the fire flickering off. Plus the packaging which doesn’t allow for the loco to be placed back in its box if the tender is set to close coupling and the wires connected! which is a real pain.

I have a few of the previous version, they tend to go for reasonable prices on EBay. I found that the later front bogie works better, so as you used to be able to get them as a spare part I replaced it. On all of mine except for the weathered one, I have put the decoder into the tender, the weathered one I had difficulty getting a later weathered tender base.

Dark red cape

i have all in LMS Crimson livery,

R3709 princess Elizabeth 6201

R30001 princess Margaret rose 6203

R3999 Princess Victoria 6206

Dutches of Kent 6212 can’t find box so can’t say the R number

Turbomotive on order.

and two kit built royals

The kits are Brass, you need to be able to solder, glue , paint and apply transfers.

kits cost breakdowns something like this

kit £90-220

tender £50- £70 depending who’s kit you buy (may be needed depending on kit)

wheels £ 80

motor gearbox £ 30- £120

also need axles bearings (not with all kits)

also paints transfers and might need fixings such as chimney dome buffers couplings whistle etc etc depending on kit. Expect £70 to 150) depending if you want to go mad on details and swop white metal castings for brass.

kits old but can be found on eBay Pro scale.

Brass masters very expensive but is the best full kit no tender. They sell tenders separately.

theres also the Judith edge stcratch aid. This is not a full kit and you will need to build your own firebox out of brass. (template is included) it’s not to hard. No tender.

There’s also Comet models now part of ‘wizard models’ you build the chassis and tender and use older Hornby body on top. Easier though the older body was wrong on its diameter which sorts of defeat the object of building a model to the correct dimension though you could buy a new body from Hornby if you can find one. Buy why not just but the whole model and be done.

I’ll post a picture separately so this reply dose not have to be withhold for checking of image.

Oh please note not all models will cost so much. I recently built a ex-L&YR class 25 for about £180 all in and took maybe 50hours to build. I’ll post a pic. The Crain cost much less maybe £30 all in. It’s made from mainly plastic card. I got the scale drawings from a book. forum_image_63582af6d74bc.thumb.png.5dee89f3d7905b4ddd8cfefb8bc8cf4f.png

DarkRedCape, Hornby used to run a monthly competition on here with a decent prize. One month I entered and won "Queen Maud". I didn't know I had won until the postman delivered it and my wife wondered what I had been ordering. It has a funny significance away from Norway or locos as my grandmother was called Maud (b 1897) and my dear mum had it as her middle name. For me it is a very good model with little to fault it by way of detail except the driver's fingerprints are not on the regulator as in the new version laughing