How do you manage your collection?

DarkRedCape

I picked up the Hornby 2020 catalog to add to the 2021 and 2022 I already have. Surprisingly there are several locos and coaches that I didn’t even know existed, even though I’ve searched just about every online retailer I can find. Many of them I would love to own, but having searched online, it seems that most of them are long gone, and it got me to thinking, how to go about building my collection going forward?

I’m the type of collector that likes a full set of something, and even though I only have 16 locos, I’d like to eventually get all the locos of the classes I already own, but it seems that’s just not possible.

So I’m curious how others view building their collections. Do you just set your sights on one particular loco and don’t care about how many there are in that class or series? Do you want the full set but accept that due to limited stock or price you’ll have to settle for one or two? Or maybe it’s the livery that you go for and how many are in the series doesn’t matter? Or maybe even some other reason, such as the era or scenery you plan to use.

My main preferences are no higher than era 5, mostly GWR and BR, with some LMS in there.

Gosh, i have never regarded myself as a Collector, even though i have over 100 locos.. I play trains. I have never read a Hornby Catalog, nor ever thought about how many locos are in that class. Trains are not my passion. They are something i do, only in the winter, between November and March. The rest of the year, i never enter the room. I have 0 Gauge clockwork, quite a bit, actually, why, cos a museum, was trying to raise funds. I have Hornby Dublo, again, quite a lot 3 rail, bought when my first son was born. Started with Ten Pound box set, bought from a Secondhand shop. My wife, thought i was mad. Added to, as and when. 00, 2 rail, i had a set from my parents, aged 10. Again, added to when kids arrived. I have Zero interest, in what region they are, or what colour they are. Never bought a new loco, until DCC, arrived, then bought the Majestic set. Good move , that, since, doubled in price. Then, as had some funds, bought 9 new DCC locos. Collector, me, NO, impulse buyer, perhaps. Wont bore you with my TT, N gauge, and Z gauge stuff. So, i dont manage my stuff, just buy what comes up. Just had it all written down, and valued for insurance purposes, and that was a shock. Frightened the insurance man , as well. Really, he said, can i see them.

I don't. I buy locos because I want a loco. I get given some locos as well. The only loco I have 2 of in the same colour is 2 bluebox 0-6-2s. I get trains because I like them and want to play with them. I model a heritage railway because that gives me the excuse to run anything anytime in unmatched sets.

XYZ

The only locomotives I have more than one of the same are Flying Scotsman - 2 (Peglar-esque LNER and current BR) and 3x Bachmann Tornados (Blue, Brunswick and Apple).

I tried to centre Steam on preserved models, but there are quite a few exceptions.

All I have listed in my own Inventories, but as mentioned above, if there's a particularly 'interesting' model, and funds permit, I'll have a punt.

Al.

I just buy what I want & like - I have a mixture of Locos - from Stephen's Rocket right up to Sir Tom Deisel, but mainly I go for Steam Locos, I must have over 100 Locos (never really counted them (41 of them are Static Models) & the rest of them are working Models & about 6 or 7 of them don't work. I have different Eras & different wheel configurations!!!

I have about may be 10 Train Sets as well!!! I go to shops & Markets & if something jumps out at me then I shall buy it if not then I won't!!! 🚂

My collection consists of just two railway companies from the interwar years; LMS, because my great grandfather worked for the Midland Railway (before LMS was formed of course), and LNER, because I love the streamlined A4s. I could be wrong but I believe that these companies also had the greatest variety of loco designs compared to GWR or Southern.

I'm afraid that modern trains do absolutely nothing for me; it has to be steam.

I mainly buy second-hand.

I always limited my buying to 1960-1968 BR as what I remembered as a child. Mainly engines that would have run in the North West but some exceptions such as a heljan class 15 because I like the quirky looks of the early diesels.

I also knowingly run locos that were all gone before my blue Lima D400 that I first saw in September 1967 at oubeck loops South of Lancaster on an oil train, not strictly correct of course.

By limiting the region and period, it does mean the collection is kept to a reasonable level of around 60 locos/Dmus. They soon add up after 57 years or so!

I am not sure that I actually "manage" my collection. I started buying (collecting?) loco's in about 2000. Having commuted into Waterloo from 1964 until 2009 I had a soft spot for the Southern Region and working only a five minute walk from ModelZones flagship store did not helpgrinning. Hornby started a series of NRM models, where they introduced one a year - I think the first was Ellerman Lines. I continued collecting this series which gave a wide range of models over the years, but I have always had a passion for Merchant Navy Class loco's, so when Hornby introduced the Super Detail models in 2000 - Clan Line, Holland Afrika Line and Canadian Pacific, I started collecting the Merchant Navy Class. Hornby have produced seventeen different names, but over the years I have renamed and renumbered models, and although some are still awaiting that process, I have thirty - the total of the class built. Like many, I have a Mallard and Flying Scotsman and a number of other loco's, many that frequented the Southern region. When I built my layout in 2013/14, obviously I did not need many loco's on the layout - not compared with what I had - so there are usually about ten - the same ten, on the layout. I have now slowed down on the collecting, not because of cost, but I really don't need any more - new southern region models may be the exception. I have the Hornby Catalogues from 1994 to date.

My collection is a very collection of a number of manufacturers mainly Rovex (Tri-ang Tri-ang Hornby Hornby (Margate) and a few Hornby (China) and Wrenn. Plus Airfix Lima Mainline Bachmann Dapol. All listed on a Exel spread sheet book with a page for each manufacturer My preference is for pre DCC locos.

I buy what I would like to add to my collection but will not pay silly money for over priced models.

i suppose if you define Manage as looking after your stat, then i do manage my locos by way of giving them all a fair turn. I decide on monday what locos to run that week, and so on. They all get a fair exposure. That way, servicing is kinda scheduled, as those who dont perform, are serviced, then and there..

My collection is almost entirely GWR and Southern, with a couple of exceptions - two BR tanks, which I bought early on before I'd really settled on the afore mentioned regions and a BR Class 33 which I got mainly to haul my Sharge track cleaner. There are also 3 Pocket Rockets which I don't really count. I may have to expand a bit in the near future though as there are a few locos that I keep yearning for. They are the LMS 4MT tank and 8F and BR Classes 08 and 20. It goes on and on.

Manage not really a thing for me, more of a modeller my self. I model the LMS so tend to stick with that. Though I do have a 5 or 6 black 5’s not sure but about the same in Jubilees but to be fair they are all different in boilers or tenders so maybe that’s managing in a way.

I'm at the point that I really don’t need anything else now, unless a all new LMS prototype is produced. Which I may consider.

I have collected for the last 20 odd years.

Being a Nine Elms/Stewarts Lane boy I love the old Southern Region loco's and trains.

However, I just buy rolling stock that I like, or take a fancy to.

I have rolling stock from all pre nationalised companies, and regions.

Whilst I don't particularly like modern era rolling stock, private companies, etc I do have a couple of these in my collection.

Run whatever you like, as I do ! It is your railway.

The best advicw I can offer is to join a Model Railway Club where you can talk to other like-minded people, experiment with your trains or ask for advice. You won't regret it.

Above all, just enjoy whatever it is you decide to do, and have fun. smile

Maybe substitute the word manage for go about, or build.

I’m not a collector in the sense that I have locos that never leave the box, or won’t ever be run. I have used all of mine so far, except the ones that require a 21-pin decoder. Watching all of the moving parts of a steam loco in action is just too nice to keep in a box forever.

I like the idea of keeping them on a rotation so that they all get some table time. I think this is something I’m definitely going to implement on my layout.

I use an Excel spreadsheet. I have 200 plus locos mainly from my ability to buy broken ones and fix them. As I run DCC I have a need to allocate them all a DCC address, so Excel gives me that flexibility. I also do the same with my carriages.

I've written a database with lots of different fields and tables for locomotives, coaches and wagons. Photographs can be added too. I have yet to finish the queries and reports but as an example, DCC locos can be printed by their numbers and various CV settings. You can also list by wheel arrangement, colour, power and a range of other fields. I may not use them all but others may wish to.

As for preference: Royal trains/locos, pullman, military, BR blue and LMS

I have also listed my collection via a spread sheet on the laptop and add to it every time I purchase something new, along side the locos etc I have inserted a realistic selling price ,surprisingly its around £14500.00,it makes me think about selling it all to buy myself a Jag.

Hi MJ

I did the same I used the Ramsey Catalogue number 8 to price my collection just using the lower price it was over 16K, with what I have added to my collection I would hate to think what I have got now maybe something to do this Christmas.

Well I have model railway that I am in the process of putting together. I don’t model any patterns era. I like the trains I like and if I can afford to buy them I will.

in saying that as I live in the U.S I tell myself that I model the Norfolk Southern railroad. Funny thing is I have more British rolling stock than I do NS.

• 2 weeks later...

Ahhhh I read this subject more about how do you 'store' them... With some of you folks having 200+ locos and rolling stock on top you must be really organised!! I'm struggling with my sub 50... I might post a question on the storage problem another day.

I do not manage my collection. It manages itself in the sense that all locos and rolling stock are cobbled together from rubbish (broken locos, stock and parts thereof) bought at car boots, train fairs and junk shops. The rubbish is dismantled into its component parts and the parts placed in a parts store (a number of banana boxes from the local supermarket). What is built is dictated by the parts available. When locos are finished, any unwanted ones are sold. Kept locos and stock are wrapped in paper kitchen towel and stored in banana boxes. The more fragile items go into washed out Pringle tubes or plastic take-away food containers before reaching the banana box. Locos are listed in a small notebook when made and deleted from the list if sold. Rolling stock is not listed because I never sell any. The current roster runs to 90 plus locos, 50 plus carriages and 200 plus wagons. The parts store holds kits of parts sufficient to build 36 more locos and a lot more stock, when time permits.