Hornby Class 71 decoder.

stevo185

I have just bought a Hornby Class 71, marked as DCC ready.

On removing the body I'm struggling to find where to fit a standard Hornby decoder and even a small decoder (brand unknown) that sits directly on the pins is too high to allow the body to be replaced.

Am I being naive in thinking that if a loco is labelled as DCC ready it should have space for a decoder chip?

Is there a chip that will fit in the limited space?

Apologies if this has been covered in another post, but the search function on the forum doesn't seem to be working at all.

Steve.

The was a thread on this subject before. Contrary to a lot of answers, in Hornby speak DCC ready means they gave you a socket, quietly forgetting about the module and more importantly the mile of wire. I think a Hornby one will fit, I will check on my one later, to see how I did it. I sometimes buy a 6 pin Zimo wired one and rewire it to 8 pin as the decoder is smaller and there is a much shorter length of wire.

for the moment I have removed the plastic generator insert and black tacked the chip just off the top.
Steve.

I believe that is the go to method for fitting sound in these. The representation of the generator is way too high anyway apparently.

I haven't fitted a decoder to mine yet. I have a couple of direct plug decoders. Looks like I might have to come up with another plan...