Special announcement 26th Nov at Warley

96RAF

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hornby could really use threads like this to see what people really wanted. The same hopes pop up every time. Just give 96RAF his loco detection already.

I’d really like to see a range of smaller tank locos. Just waiting for the day they make another Pannier tank loco.

Maybe a new TT scenery range.

@DRC said

Just give RAF96 his loco detection already.

In truth RAF96 and others already have LD but not RM LD, just simple reed switches feeding into a cheap switch-box that talks to a PC running an RM works-like application written by forum member St1ngr4y for his own layout but being run in development by a small group of forum members and it works very very well, better than RM in many respects. Once you have sampled watching the trains do their thing as you sit back and enjoy there is no going back to manual ops.

Another member in the group is working on doing away with the reams of wires between the switches and the switch-box by way of radio Tx-Rx modules.

@GS

white_check_mark

I don't think forward planning is high on Hornby's list of priorities. Now people like me just go and buy a decoder off anyone, well in my case a decent supplier. A lot of people on this site only buy Hornby, so having a loco with a 21 pin DCC socket but no decoder to fit it is a bit of an issue. The move to 21 pin is a good idea, but why now? Most of the steam locos don't have lots of functions so there is no need for the additional functions 21 pin gives you, the only advantage for Hornby is packaging.

I don’t really understand why they’ve released 21-pin locos and the decoder to use them wasn’t ready to release with them. They release the locos then the decoder for them is set for release a year later?

Same reason as they announce TT:120 locos and you have to wait for the necessary Next18 decoders. Just a bit of out of synch production, where one product gets there before the other.

There is an underlying and very good reason for the decoder delays, which will be resolved in time for the Jan 2023 product launch.

I don’t really understand why they’ve released 21-pin locos and the decoder to use them wasn’t ready to release with them. They release the locos then the decoder for them is set for release a year later?

I can think of plenty of manufacturers who release models with 21pin sockets, or 8pin and other, and have no intention of ever producing their own decoder - or even track!

After the TT120 announcement, I'm sure Warley will bring us British HO, finally! sunglasses

Well, what about a working giraffe wagon!?

Seriously though, TT has at long last been reinvented so I wonder if minic motorways is about to be reinvented in high tech DCC form. Imagine the cars and buses running round with sound chips. What play value!

Elloloco, while I agree that British HO would look much more realistic than the narrow gauge of OO it’s been tried and failed by Jouef (Playcraft), Lima and Fleishmann and possibly Rivarossi as well just to name the ones off the top of my head. There are a lot of kit manufacturers doing HO (such as Judith Edge) and 3D printed models can easily be scaled to HO, virtually everything on Shapeways can be printed to HO scale. There is also a rather nice static Atlas class 86 that can apparently easily be motorised. I have a small collection of British HO models that can be run alongside my European ones simply because I like them, I don’t think any SNCF or Dutch locos ever got to the NW of England (The SNCF Pacific that was at Steamtown in Carnforth being the exception). They do look very small against my Tri-ang locos including the TC ones. Maybe it’s time for more RTR British HO models? I think it’d be more of a risk than scale TT though.

@Rana,

Yes it was a slightly tongue in cheek comment about British HO, and I make similar on a number of FB posts each year. I know its unlikely to happen but I can wish.....smiley

In the meantime, I am continuing my quest to model British Class 66s in HO.....I have now produced three, only another 450 odd to go.

forum_image_637ddd9ee501d.thumb.png.b24a1a2081058883eee23cfa530ce711.png

The irony is, after dumping OO for its failings, I have been drawn to Spanish HO which being broad gauge also results in models running on narrow gauge track.

Hornby are going back to the traditional way of selling ie via the retail trade. This means that bricks and mortar shops will make a come back and people will be able to go some where and get sensible advice on setting up a model railway.